FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Primary Health Care
Location: Damasak, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Officer (Health and Nutrition Services)
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The Assistant Technical Officer (ATO), Primary Health Care (PHC) will triage, examine, diagnose and treat patients in need of primary health care at the FHI 360-funded medical clinic. Based on the diagnosis, the ATO-PHC will prescribe appropriate treatment to patients and suggest follow up as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team of international and national staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Provides accurate diagnosis, treatment and management of patients in a primary health care setting
- Assess patients and refers them for specialized health care (as required)
- Maintain adequate and correct records of patient care including consumables & instruments utilized (if any)
- Work with technical and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data on the life of the project
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of Clinical Management of integrated medical services and related developments by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research to the project implementation especially the Clinical Management of integrated medical services at the facility level
- Participate in the delivery of quality health care to patients in a primary health care setting
- Adheres to relevant Code of conduct and ethics
- Participate in outreach and community health programs (as required)
- Provide health education to patients
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensure adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Participates in Continuing Professional Development (i.e. training, mentoring)
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MB.BS, MD or similar degree with minimum of 1 year relevant experience in emergency and constrained settings, INGO experience is most desirable. Must have a valid practicing license
- 1 – 3 years relevant experience in clinical setting.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding program delivery
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online