Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum. Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education in Emergencies Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- Reporting to Child Protection and Education Coordinator and, the Education in Emergencies Specialist and in close collaboration with Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Program Managers will assist vulnerable children affected by conflict to receive quality education in child-friendly and safe environments.
- The post holder is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design and implementation of the Education component of Terre des hommes emergency response the North East region of Nigeria.
- The EiE Specialist will particularly ensure the technical support to all education projects implementation in an integrated manner with other program components and other on-going interventions in the response
Responsibilities & Tasks
Assessment, Programme Design and Planning:
- Carry out assessment of education needs, develop and implement an Education in Emergency strategy in line with TdH Nigeria Country Strategy.
- Ensure the CP/EiE Coordinator, Head of Programs and CP/EiE Managers are informed on the assessment progress, emergency response implementation and strategies, progress reports, and other significant developments in the education sector.
- Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration at all times.
- In collaboration with technical team, design appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and relevant to the project locations.
- Ensure that issues of gender, child protection, protection, Disaster Risk Reduction and conflict sensitivity are considered in the Education program design.
- Ensure technical support in all Education projects implementation in an integrated manner and in terms of child protection and education as a matter of emergency.
- Make frequent field visits to all affected areas to monitor implementation of EiE, identify opportunities and constraints and any adjustments needed including additional staffing or staff training or other.
Advocacy and Networking:
- Represent the organization in the Education Working Group and Interagency Coordination meetings, liaise with relevant Government line agencies, National/State School Administration, UN agencies and I/NGOs working in the field of Education.
- Contribute to strengthening the capacity of Civil Society Organisations and Institutions in line with the organisations policies and strategies.
- Liiase with other humanitarian actors in project locations to jointly advocate on education issues
- Identify and assess suitable Civil Society Organisations and Institutions for partnership development on Education response.
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly reports on education in emergencies activities
- Prepare and submit field visit or monitoring reports
- Prepare training reports including pre and post test analysis
- Prepare success stories on education activities
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Lead the design and develop appropriate surveillance, monitoring, evaluation and learning systems for education Projects implementation.
- Provide input to the development or revision of a monitoring and evaluation system.
- Ensure early and rigorous implementation of quality assurance and accountability mechanisms in all the education Projects implementation.
- Contribute in documenting the response, experience and lessons learned on Education in Emergencies programming.
- Conduct regular assessments, analysis and advise programme design and modifications
- Identify training needs, develop and roll out capacity building plan on EiE to Tdh Staff and partners to carry out quality EiE programming.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Tdh Nigeria staff and partners on Education in Emergencies
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy, PSEA are upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Education Degree: A Master’s Degree in Education from a recognised University
- Work Experience: Minimum of five years experience designing, planning, implementing, supervising and reporting on Education in Emergencies Programming.
- Computer skills: Excellent IT skills.
- Other: Knowledge of the North East Nigerian context would be an advantage.
- Language Skills: Excellent written and spoken English. Excellent spoken Hausa and Kanuri.
- Knowledge & skills: Previous experience with an NGO is mandatory. Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated. Experience in protection, notably child protection, and Education is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Qualified differently abled people are highly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 14th June, 2021.