African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting ti fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Portfolio Management Officer, PIFD0
Position Number: 50071426
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Position Grade: LP4
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The role of the Banks’ Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector development in RMCs and ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations of green and inclusive growth, in line with the Bank’s TYS and High 5 Initiative.
- As part of the Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization Complex, the primary role of the Financial Sector Development Department (PIFD) is to help the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) increase reach (i.e. financial inclusion), depth (i.e. financial intermediation), and breadth (i.e. capital markets, regional integration) of African financial systems, while safeguarding financial stability.
- The Department has four long-term objectives:
- Development of a vibrant private sector through an inclusive access by households and enterprises to financial services;
- Strengthening markets participants;
- Developing efficient capital markets, and
- Deepening regional financial integration.
- Portfolio Management has primary responsibility for the day-to-day management of all project related activities after the first disbursement on a project, until the project is closed out of the portfolio. The responsibility for projects approved by the Board, for which the first disbursement has not been made, will remain with the investment division which originated and processed the transaction. This will ensure that investment divisions remain accountable for processing transactions to the point where all conditions of first disbursement are met.
- The Principal Portfolio Management Officer position primary responsibility is to monitor and supervise projects assigned after first disbursement have been achieved, to ensure compliance with loan agreement and covenants, Support development and quality of new transactions through engagement in project teams and engage in consultative meetings with key stakeholders with the aim of driving the Bank’s PSD strategy and the HI-5 operational priorities.
Under the overall supervision of the Financial Sector Director and in close collaboration with the Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization (PIVP) Complex, the principal portfolio manager officer will perform the following:
- Understand the bank’s core product areas and High 5 priorities, assess/present solutions that deliver value to internal and external clients. Work in close coordination and support the Director General and regional coordinators in the execution of regional mandates
- Contribute sector know-how and market intelligence for the financial intermediaries, new business development and participate in the project appraisals as required
- Provide leadership and support in the development of the Financial Institutions Portfolio management strategy, and assist in execution of this strategy
- Lead discussions at credit risk committee level working in collaboration with the task manager, regional coordinator, PGCL on all waivers, restructuring requiring approval from the committee
- Ensure proper coordination between the Headquarters and the Regional offices to ensure consistency of approaches, knowledge sharing and exchange of experiences, and consistency and integration of policy commitments in all financial sector operations
- Lead in the review of portfolio performance by sector and regional country and preparation of initiatives to promote project quality and improve portfolio performance.
- Provide support to the Nigeria Country office and ensure that private sector and non-sovereign (NSO) dimensions are captured in the Country Strategy Paper (CSP’s) and the Regional Integration Strategic Paper (RISP),
- Participate in private sector dialogues, conducting business development activities and supporting PIFD and the Country office in the development of Indicative Operating Pipeline (IOP) for NSO
- Provide expert advice during due diligence, structuring and negotiation in connection with new financial sector investments
- Monitor performance of portfolio entities and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions
- Demonstrate deep technical capability and professional knowledge in different aspects of Credit Risk in support of the financial sector portfolio
- Provide guidance and advice for the identification and implementation of action items needed to resolve implementation issues and problems
- Prepare consolidated reports on the of the financial sector portfolio for Management information that will drive strategic investment decision
- Lead and coordinate the financial sector input in the preparation of the annual portfolio review report for submission to the board
- Mentor and coach less-experienced portfolio specialist staff and help build talent and grow financial expertise skill base
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities
- Actively contribute to knowledge management of Private Sector Advisory activities, including capture, development and dissemination of information and knowledge, best practices, solutions and project delivery tools in areas of expertise
- Deal with problem transactions, including handling of restructuring and other issues and for providing guidance in the processing of internal documents to seek committee and Board Approvals.
Competencies (Skills, experience and knowledge):
- A minimum of a Master’s or its equivalent in Finance, Development Economics, Business Administration or any other discipline that is relevant to the Financial Sector development
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience in Infrastructure, Industrialization and Public Private Partnerships, preferably within the Financial Sector.
- Expert knowledge with operations of financial institutions and capital market structures, Credit Risk Management and treasury products
- International experience and exposure to working in several countries, especially Africa;
- Ability to build effective client relationships (internally and externally);
- Ability to represent the Division Manger effectively within and outside the AfDB;
- Proven track record in the structuring of a range of Bank products, such as loans, equity, guarantee products and technical assistance.
- Operational project management: Demonstrates broad knowledge of project management tools and methodologies; identifies risks and mitigations measures; interprets background analysis and proposed solutions.
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project design, planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of multilateral development banks.
- Knowledgeable in the structuring and execution of debt and equity.
- Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology.
- Excellent Professional written and verbal communications in English or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Deadline: 25th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Apply for this Position:
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.