The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Job Title: Education Technical Assistant
Job Identification: 2819
Location: Monguno, Maiduguri – Borno
Project number: NGFM1905
Job Category: Education
Job Schedule: Full time
Reports to: Education Officer
Grade Level: 4 Step 1
Duration and type of contract: 4 Months possibility of extension.
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the education programme.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the programme portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the programme function
- Monitor and review the overall commodity movements such as project deliveries, storage, transport and distribution at the site and verify if the amounts received, distributed and losses have been properly recorded.
- Supervise the distribution of project supplies at the project sites and ensure proper distribution of entitlements and verify appropriate entitlements are distributed to beneficiaries
- Reviews documents and processes which authorize distribution. Ensure that an approved procedure is followed in the registration and selection of beneficiaries and ensures that the distribution list is accurately consolidated
- Fills Warehouse Management and distribution inspection checklist for the school stores visited and distributions attended.
- Liaises with concerned government education offices for smooth and efficient programming.
- Lead in mobilization and sensitization of community members on the importance of education in collaboration with PTAs, local administration and the Ministry of education.
- Lead education campaigns including developing advocacy messages for different events.
- Carry out registration of learners in established communities and learning spaces in collaboration with local leaders, teachers and PTAs.
- Assist the teachers in their work and report all protection related concerns
- Ensure timely supply of teaching-learning and recreational materials in the schools
- Support teachers and children to initiate activities in learning centres that meet the psycho-social needs of the displaced children and teachers.
- In consultation with the Project officer and teachers facilitate the running of sports/recreational and psycho-social activities in learning centres
- Other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensure schools and learning spaces NRC is working are safe for children. Protect Children and all the project beneficiaries against any form of exploitation. The PA is expected to adhere to NRC CoC and always be at the forefront in issues related to PSEA.
- Ensure Complains response mechanism is in place in schools and persons of concern receive feedback.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Education staff in the project area and in other NRC offices
- Project planning: Education Officer, Core Competency Assistants, Field Officer, M&E
- Assessments: Local authorities, Field Officer, M&E
- Area operations: Field officers
- Staff capacity building: PDM, Shelter Coordinator, Education Officer, HR Officer
- Implementation: Education Officer, Field Officer
Scale and Scope of the Position
- Numbers and titles of staff directly managed by the postholder, and numbers of staff and daily workers/incentive staff responsible for overall in the unit (e.g. 5 project officers and 2 education assistants, 34 staff in total- Nil
- Key external stakeholders the post has relationships with (e.g. UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies):
- Local Authorities (LGA Chairman, Bulama), Ministry of Education representatives, NGO’s Field project representatives
- List of budgets covered by postholder, and size of the budget:
- NGFM1905, 2101.
- Brief description of the information resources the postholder is responsible for at CO level (e.g. GORS, Agresso, Webcruiter, Intranet):
- M&E Dashboard, GORS, Agresso, NRC Intranet.
Legal or compliance:
- Brief description of any legal or compliance responsibility the postholder has (term of employment, vendors, donors):
- At least 1-year experience in similar positions
- Experience working in the Ministry of Education system is preferred
- High-level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access)
- Education degree or similar field
- Minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
- Experience working with the community at the grass-roots level
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Assistant in Education programmes in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Must have some university degree in Education or related field
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the context in North-East Nigeria
- Knowledge in Community Mobilization or related field.
- The following behavioural competencies are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
Deadline: 26th August, 2021 (5:39 PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online