Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action, helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Intern – RIC-19
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time Regular Employee
Reports Directly To: Program Officer
Works Directly With: All staff
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- This position is based in Damaturu with major responsibility in supporting the teams in record retention, initiating procurement requests, the focal point for documentation with community Stakeholders, Community Engagement, securing approvals, documentation retention for the Reducing the Impact of Covid-19 RIC-19, assisting the program officer in day-to-day tasks.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the Program Officers in collecting and compiling all the documents ensuring they are filed both in hard and soft copy.
- Under supervision raise PR’s for hotel bookings for any trainings and workshops
- Track all the items that shall be purchased for the use of program activities such as training material, and refreshments
- Support in conducting spot checks for program activities periodically, whilst collecting data on attendance and entry into the database
- With the support of the Officer, track RIC-19 costs and take the department’s inventory and make requests in time
- Support implementation of community engagement activities in collaboration with the program team.
- Support with the organization of meetings with relevant stakeholders and guide the project staff to the various meeting points as required.
- Support program officer to ensure progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Support in the coordination in target geographic areas.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Improved writing, presentation and verbal communications skills.
- Improved knowledge onbest practices for documentation and record-keeping.
- Gain knowledge on developing initiatives and relationships with stakeholders.
- Learn how to work with a diversified team of people and gain knowledge on a variety of humanitarian and development programs.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Knowledge and Experience
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Minimum of 1-year experience
- Professional, good organizational capacity, good human relationships, motivated, flexible, culturally sensitive
- Fluency in both verbal and written English is highly preferred and Hausa Language
- Multi-tasking, coordination, organization, prioritization skills are essential.
- Working independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
- Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Ability to Make an Impact:
- Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
- Inspired to perform without outside help
- Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
- The successful candidate will combine curiosity and a strong willingness to learn in the shortest possible time that will enable the candidate to meet the expectations of this role.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work with limited direct supervision.
- S/he will be willing to conduct several days-long field travels and work in an ethnically and culturally diversified and fast-growing team.
- The candidate should equip with an additional attribute of a “want-to-do” attitude.
- S/he will be an effective communicator, self-motivated with dedication towards deliverables and commitment to deliver with limited time and resources.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and, have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Deadline: 22nd August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
- Mercy Corps interns represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.