The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Associate Settlement Planning Officer
VMAM Code: NGAR000177-10583
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Host Entity: UNHCR
Expected Starting Date: 01 October 2021
Duration: 12 months with possiblity of extension
Description of Task
- Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Senior Shelter Cluster Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Associate Settlement Planning officer will undertake the following tasks:
In Particular, S/he will:
- Coordinate and lead the shelter cluster technical working group on sites and settlement planning, refining the scope of the WG, defining and implementing a workplan and plan of action.
- Establish systems to identify track and monitor emergency settlement planning needs and activities across NE Nigeria. This will focus on displacement sites, both existing and requiring decongestion strategy.
- Work with other clusters to ensure that relevant standards are developed adapted and effectively communicates.
- Develop sound technical guidance on site planning including emergency minimum standards with a view of long-term implications and future urban development.
- Actively work to ensure that physical site planning takes account protection concerns, including where relevant, deconfliction and security, access to services for those living with disabilities and reduced risk of GBV issues relating to poor site planning.
- Ensure that each site has planning to reduce key risks including wind, flooding and fire.
- Build partner technical capacity, systems and tools in site planning through coaching, training and workshops
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Qualifications / Requirements
Required Degree Level:
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent
Educational Additional Comments:
- Bachelors Degree in Architecture or Civil-Engineering is required for this position.
- 24 Months
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience with a Master’s degree or 4 years of relevant professional experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of Expertise:
- Other human settlement related experience
Area of Expertise Details:
- Relevant professional experience includes management of humanitarian shelter or settlement programs / projects or a combination of experience in the humanitarian sector and construction related activities outside of the humanitarian sector such as supervision of construction works.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and negotiation skills in a cross cultural environment and the ability to assist in communication of technical and non-technical details with Government technical staff as well as NGO staff and local authorities.
- Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams.
Deadline: 22nd September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online