ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises work with people living in poverty and exclusion; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world.
ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
We invite applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below within the organisation:
Job Title: Project Coordinator – Campaign for Inclusion of Women and Young People in Political and Governance Processes (We-YOU Pro)
Reporting To: Manager, Governance
Line Management: Staff Support (Intern or Volunteer)
- The Project Coordinator would in collaboration with the Governance Manager develop, implement, manage and report on Campaign for inclusion of women and young people in political and governance processes ‘We-YOU Pro’ project.
- The postholder would contribute to the overall development of the Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL) Programme.
- S/he would also have responsibility for contributing to the development of an overall just and democratic governance programme in ActionAid Nigeria.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of strategies to mobilise Women, youth and persons living with disability to participate in governance and influence electoral politics.
- Facilitate interventions to increase citizens’ knowledge of democratic and electoral processes
- Develop quarterly plans within the framework of the ‘We-YOU Pro’ project in general but particularly the agreed objectives and outputs for the year, in collaboration with partners for the delivery of the project activities.
- Implement on timely basis, agreed activities but also taking advantage of unplanned activities that may come up.
- Support in assessment of partners in project states.
- Work with the state partners to implement empowerment interventions targeting youths, women, persons living with disability and other vulnerable groups.
- Provide continuous support through coaching, support visits, formal, and informal training to ‘We-YOU Pro’ State partners
- Undertake such activities as to promote healthy relationship among implementing partners of ‘We-YOU Pro’ and between implementing partners and other stakeholders on elections.
- Support in collaboration with other partners in the field, the maintenance of an efficient M&E system that tracks programme performance and allows for easy retrieval of information.
- Promote the adoption of participatory approaches by partners and other actors
- Represent and contribute to the advancement of the governance programme unit in Nigeria
- Contribute strongly in identifying funding opportunities in Nigeria and beyond, and support proposal development
- Work effectively and build sustainable partnership with the media to ensure project visibility and impact.
Policy, Advocacy and Research:
- Initiate and coordinate the activities of ‘We-YOU Pro’ advocacy directed at improving the participation of citizens especially women groups, youth organizations and people living with disability in Nigeria’s elections and democratic governance processes in general
- Support the linking of AAN’s national level governance policy advocacy work with community, LGA and State level ‘We-YOU Pro’ issues.
- Collaborate with relevant institutions and other agencies, alliances and networks for elections and governance issues
- Support legislative discussions on elections, democracy and overall governance programme related issues.
- Develop required knowledge and alternatives on government processes to drive policy reform work
- Build Capacity of partners and other election key actors and stakeholders on policy Influencing
- Build sustainable relations with the government at all levels, especially institutions on election and democracy.
- Collate and submit monthly, quarterly, and annual reports from partner organizations
- Document and follow up on outcome of mid-term and annual project reviews
- Document and share learning from the project at national and international fora
- Coordinate the storage, retrieval and review of programme related information
- Provide inputs into the writing and review of periodic reports and other information and documents especially for accountability purpose
- Support ‘We-YOU Pro’ state partners in the development and maintenance of accountability systems consistent with specified national frameworks or protocols
- Ensure programme documents are uploaded in the AAN SharePoint, CMS etc
Reporting and Accountability:
- Submit to Manager, Governance timely informative reports, showing progress towards outputs and objectives of the ‘We-YOU Pro’ project
- Submit situational and any other non-routine reports when necessary or as requested
- Ensure timely implementation of and reporting on agreed activities by the state partners.
- Participate in AAN programme meetings and share experiences from the field, bringing up issues of general programme nature for collective decision making.
- Facilitate the sharing of information among partners and with other stakeholders.
- Submit success stories or case studies on lessons learnt for sharing.
- Participate in and contribute to the development of AAN annual plans and budgets
- Submit timely financial reports on funds released for activities in the state ensuring compliance with AAN financial reporting requirements.
- Support partners to develop realistic budgets, linking budgets to planned and agreed activities.
- Ensure judicious and appropriate use of programme resources given to partners, combining adherence to agreed use of resources with flexibility in use to respond to changes and value adding opportunities when they occur.
- Ensure timely and accurate accountability for use of programme resources by partners in accordance with agreed format for accountability.
- Recommend assessment of partner financial system or financial management style where evidenced that these are not working
- Actively source for and participate in fundraising activity for AAN including developing concept notes and proposals.
- Represent AAN at public events – including attending meetings on behalf of AAN.
- Carry out any other responsibilities assigned by line manager.
Key Working Relationships
- Entire AAN team.
- Partners, Donors, Communities, CSOs and relevant government agencies.
Education / Qualifications:
- First Degree in Political Sciences or other Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field
- Membership of relevant professional Institute.
- At least seven years’ experience, out of which four years should be in a similar role with particular emphasis on election interventions in the development sector preferably at the state level
- Experience in project management
- Experience in community-based work and engagements with CBOs.
Skills / Abilities:
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to provide practical solutions within set deadlines.
- Ability to maintain donor relationship and accountability in line with funding policies and standards.
- Excellent skills to motivate and inspire a functional team will be essential
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- Multi-tasking skills
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Highly numerate
- Excellent Skills in Programme Information Management
- Knowledge of Microsoft office.
- A person of integrity, creative and takes initiative,
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- A self-motivated person able to work without close supervision.
- Able to effectively promote AAN’s mission values, and objectives.
- Proven Leadership Qualities.
Deadline: 8th September, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should complete Application Form below and send in MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- Subject line of emails must state clearly, job title of position applied for and location.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse in line with our Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.