Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Officer
Locations: Damaturu – Yobe and Maiduguri – Borno
- The purpose of this role is to support daily implementation of OTL USAID funded Education project, Plan international Nigeria.
Dimensions of the Role
- The post holder will directly implement the project and also document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International’s emergency response.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, capacity building. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
In collaboration with the Project Manager:
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the pilot project
- Support the project Manager, Institutional Capacity Strengthening Manager, Access to Education Lead in designing of the Project Implementation Plans.
- Ensure the execution of the Project Implementation Plan and work closely with the National implementing partners on the project
- Will work closely with the National partners in the execution of the Formal, non-formal (ABEP & IQE) education component of the project
- With support from M&E team design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Will be responsible for the formation, strengthening and training of the Community structures (SBMCs, PMCs, CBCPCs) etc.
- Will play a key role in the mobilization and engagement of the community and stakeholders in the implementation and monitoring of the project
- Will be responsible for school supervision, and data collection
- Will support in organizing and facilitating teacher trainings and assessments
- Support assessment of Education sector in the state of implementation
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education specific 5Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, Education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered in implementation and documented.
- Provide regular updates to Education in Emergencies Specialist, on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Support the implementation of, and represent Plan International in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience Education in Emergencies
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards (especially UNCRC)
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence.
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Ability to read and write in both English and others languages appropriately in Northeast Nigeria.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Deadline: 6th November, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.