Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based international health development organisation; currently implementing more than 140 programs, directly reaching more than 12 million people across 35 African countries. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in eight countries in Africa, including Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Malawi, South Sudan, Zambia and Senegal.
Amref’s work in each country responds to local needs and priorities strengthen existing capacities in communities to take control of their health and strengthen the local health systems. In additional eleven advocacy and fundraising offices are located in Europe and North America. In the spirit of Ubuntu, partnership and networking are key elements of Amref Health Africa’s approach. Amref has a staff complement of over 1,500.
Amref Health Africa is driven by its vision of ‘Lasting health change in Africa’ and its mission ‘To increase sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health, health service delivery, and investments in health’.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Western RCC
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Reporting To: RCC Coordinator
Directorate: Africa CDC
Division: RCC Western Africa
Partnership Between Amref and Africa CDC
- The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC), a specialized technical institution of the African Union (AU), has partnered with Amref Health Africa in pursuit of its vision, mission and strategic objectives.
- The ultimate objective of this partnership is to redefine Africa’s health security strategy in order to improve the public health systems on the African continent and in the global community by extension. This collaboration seeks to achieve but is not limited to the following:
- Develop and strengthen the Africa health systems.
- Enhance and strengthen African response capacity to public health emergencies.
- Strengthen regional integrated surveillance and laboratory networks (RISLNET) in Africa.
- Facilitate programmatic and scientific collaboration benefiting Member States.
- Facilitate enhancement and strengthening of the programmatic and technical capacities via deployment of human resources.
- Facilitate and enhance private sector engagement in the African health sector and other partnerships concerning workforce development, emergency response and public health networks.
- This partnership has an ambition to strengthen Africa CDC capacity to improve public health systems across Africa, to enhance the continent’s readiness to respond to disease threats, including the on-going response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This will be achieved through scaling up the capacity of the five Africa CDC Regional Coordinating Centers (RCCs) to support the continent to respond to health emergencies at the point of need, amplifying the capabilities and reach of the HQ team across all strategic pillars.
- With funding from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, this partnership will facilitate filling of urgent capacity gaps in the RCCs over the coming two years, recruiting and deploying up to 12 experts to strengthen the Centres and their work.
- The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will be responsible for carrying out a variety of technical support services and programmatic activities in the area of monitoring and evaluation, risk management and other public health programme implementation for West Africa Region.
- The M&E Officer will especially provide technical support for the coordination, planning, monitoring and evaluation of COVID-19 vaccine introduction readiness, deployment, and administration to support Member States within the West Africa Region.
- Support all aspects of Africa CDC (internal and external) monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Provide technical support for the development or adaptation of guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) monitoring and evaluation tools including data collection and management tools.
- Provide monitoring and evaluation findings and recommendations to support planning, emergency preparedness, risk management and mitigation activities for the CoVID-19 vaccination programs.
- Follow-up on and ensure monitoring and evaluation lessons learned are captured and that adjustments/corrections are integrated in the project cycle.
- Work with the partners to inform and ensure the proper M&E activities are incorporated in the CoVID-19 vaccination programme of the project activities.
- Work with Africa CDC staff to ensure quality data collection and contribute in the analysis of the collected data to build credible evidence.
- Provide technical advisory to implementing partners and regional teams.
- Review the operational and programme KPIs developed for the CoVID-19 programme and update as required.
- Represent Africa CDC in a professional manner, which creates a positive image and enhances the credibility of the organization.
- Perform any other CoVID-19 vaccination related activities as requested by the Programme Manager.
- Master’s University Degree in Public Health, Sociology, Social Development, Economics, Business Administration, Monitoring and Evaluation or other related fields. Or
- Bachelor’s University Degree in Public Health, Sociology, Social development, Economics, Business Administration, or other related fields.
- Certification in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of five (5) years of working experience in the area of Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Work experience in the area of public health programme implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation and stakeholder engagement is an added value.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrate professionalism; good knowledge to design, to develop and maintain M&E Strategy, Policies and Procedures.
- Computer literacy and good knowledge in ERP/SAP.
- Excellent knowledge of international organizations.
- Good drafting and argumentative skills in one of the African Union working languages.
- Good communication, planning, organizational and reporting skills.
- Good ability to take initiatives, to improve service delivery.
- Good ability to focus on client orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; respect for confidentiality and good public relations;
- Skills in translating highly technical information into presentations, briefings and report and funding proposals for lay audiences.
- Change management; flexible and introduce new ideas and approaches to the team by evaluating the strengths and weaknesses.
- Managing risk; act when outcome is unclear while taking all risks into account
- Teamwork and collaboration; encourage input from others and adopt a participatory approach.
- Accountability awareness and compliance; escalate decisions that are outside the role, providing information and insight.
- Learning orientation; anticipate changes in work demands and searches for and participate in assignments or training that address these changing skill requirements.
- Communicating with influence; communicate with others in a clear, to-the-point, confident and fluent manner in order to inform others in such a way that there is no misunderstanding.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving; ability to make a decision and take action quickly and decisively when there is not enough information to predict the consequences with certainty.
- Job knowledge and information sharing; ability to share information, willingly and voluntarily share knowledge in own area of expertise with others.
- Drive for result; make specific changes in the system or in own work methods to improve performance.
- Continuous improvement focus; take established practice or idea used elsewhere with successful results and adapt it in a new way to meet the current situation.
- Fluency in English including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in French, Arabic or Portuguese is desirable.
- Knowledge of two or more languages would be an added advantage.
Competitive based on qualification and experience.
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click Here For More Information (PDF)
- You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application.
- Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the advert may be pulled down before the closing date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.