Intercommunity Development Social Organization (IDS) formally Integrated Development Services (IDS) is a voluntary, not-for-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in 2004 by Peace-loving and law-abiding women and youth and incorporated with the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/IT/No.60576) and was granted Special Consultative Status by the United Nations (UN) Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in 2013.
We are recruiting a suitable candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Location: Nganzai / Konduga – Maiduguri, Borno (Field)
Employment Type: Contract
- The Security Officer works at the direction of the Project Director.
- The primary function of the Security Officer is to provide assistance to the IDS programs, as assigned, on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff at a program site.
- The Security Officer oversees daily security management of a IDS program site and manages the IDS Security Guards, as well as trains and mentors Security Focal Points
- The Security Officer will monitor and assess security conditions, assist and provide direction to management teams and Security Focal Points (SFP’s)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation. The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Develop and update the Security Risk Assessments (SRA’s), SOP’s and Contingency Plans
- Supervise and train National Security Officer and Security Focal Points
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all field staff is fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce staff vulnerability to those threats
- Design and drill warden systems, emergency communications networks, and provisioning of emergency supplies for field personnel
- Ensure internal Incident Management System is utilized properly and performs incident mapping and analysis
- Collects security related information from local and regional resources as it applies to sites and communicates with the IDS local security focal point and Project Director as appropriate
- Monitors the security preparedness of country staff and works with PD to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
- Act as a key member of the Field Incident Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensures logistics follows a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Audits communications equipment and facilitates communications-related assistance when necessary.
- Recommends changes in National security plans to Project Director as needed
- Ensure induction security briefings are conducted to all arriving staff, visitors or volunteers.
- Ensure weekly security reports are completed and sent to the project Director, providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
- Conducts and submits Security Risk Assessments of programs, as required.
- Conducts and submits full Site Security Surveys of every site visited.
- Conducts and submits Trip Reports of all high-risk field deployments.
- Keep excellent records and logs to ensure continuity of this position.
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of qualified national security field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Project Director.
- Make frequent site visits to facilities to carry out security assessments and ensure appropriate care and training are being conducted. Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
Training / Capacity Building:
- Determine training needs for the security staff
- Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability
- Maintain excellent working relationships as a member of the country team senior management.
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities and other NGO’s
- Maintain local networks to ensure community acceptance and local information
- Attends security coordination meetings and updates Project Director on current security issues
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors.
Code of Conduct
- It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment
- If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
- Minimum of 3 years security experience working in conflict areas; Africa experience an advantage
- Good English writing and verbal skills working with government and military leadership
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Ability to work with diverse teams
- The commitment and some demonstrated training skills to build national staff capacity, in the areas of supply chain management.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills, with an analytical approach
- Good interpersonal, management, and leadership skills.Evidence of ability to work in a participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities.
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams
- Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas.
- Negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills.
Deadline: 6th December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Intercommunity Development Social Organisation (IDS) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of religion, gender or disabilities.
- Position is open to Nigerian nationals only.
Leave a Reply