Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Adolescent Girls / Boys Assistant
Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract duration: 1 year with possible extension
- With the support of the GBV/ASRH officer carry out an assessment to identify adolescents, adolescents’ parents and mentors using an established criterion.
- Map adolescent spaces within the community, and support regular update of the referral pathway
- Working closely with other project staffs to recruit girls, boys, adolescents’ parents, and mentors.
- Conduct trainings for the selected groups using the above toolkits
- Supervise and support mentors on rolling out the various curriculum for the different groups
- Identify training needs and plan for CCS and psychosocial trainings for service providers including case management for survivors of gender-based violence.
- Provide basic psychological first aid and support adolescents to access social services needed
- Promote and empower adolescents to practice knowledge and skills acquired.
- Conduct monthly parents’ discussion sessions using Girls Shine and CSE targeting adolescent parents.
- Organizing age and gender segregated group educational and social activities, and holding regular, individual meetings with mentors.
- Host coordination meetings with community stakeholders, parents etc.
- Working closely with school authorities, teachers, and parents to ensure that girls’ stay in school
- Collect, compile, summarize and submit weekly report on Adolescent girls and boys activities to GBV/ASRH Officer.
- Facilitate or lead educational, psychosocial, and recreational activities for adolescents in the WGSSs and or Community spaces.
- Support Girls, boys and parents Committees or groups to operate within the Women and Girls’ Safe Space and communities in a safe and collaborative way.
- With support from the GBV/SRH Officers consult with key external stakeholders (including girls, boys, parents, mentors, and other relevant organizations) to obtain information which will enhance program implementation.
- Communicate and advocate for girls’ and boys’ unique needs and need for continued focus on adolescent girls as active participants and agents of change in their communities.
- Perform all other duties, as needed, or requested by the supervisor.
- Maintains frequent communication with GBV Officers, Senior GBV Officer and Field supervisor to ensure GBV activities and objectives are communicated.
- Works with other program and operations staff at the field locations to ensure the coordination of GBV activities are managed smoothly.
- Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies.
- Facilitates emergency and non-emergency security expenditures.
- Actively promotes PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within NCA and amongst beneficiaries served by NCA.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field (Gender Studies, Public Health, Social Work, Humanities, Law, Psychology, Sociology).
- 1 – 2 years’ experience with minimum of 1 year’s relevant experience in GBV in emergencies, protection, and ASRH programming.
Experience & Technical Skills:
- Must have strong GBV Minimum Standards and ASRHR knowledge.
- Excellent communication and group facilitation skills on sensitive topics.
- Knowledgeable in GBV, ASRH and Inter- generational dialogue
- Practical experience working with refugees, IDPs, girls and boys, and implementing programs in vulnerable communities.
- Understands the challenges and obstacles girls and boys face regarding cultural practices, norms, and society pressures.
- Understands sensitivities of conducting outreach and awareness on violence related issues.
- Ability to communicate sensitively and without judgment.
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to work well in team setting.
- Emotional maturity and stability to deal with conflict and confrontation in non-violent way and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, ethnicity, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Good communication and facilitation skills to work on sensitive topics.
- Persons with skills in Girl shine curriculum, Comprehensive Sexual Education are encouraged to apply.
- Strong commitment to human rights, gender equality, and understanding of issues surrounding violence against women and girls.
- Upholds and promotes ASRHR, and safeguarding /child protection policy
- Commitment to and understanding of NCA core values and principles.
- Must adhere to and encourage PSEA and NCA Code of Conduct and ensure timely reporting.
- Strong belief in and commitment to human rights and gender equality.
- Demonstrated competency to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Resilient, flexible and gender sensitive.
- Commitment and energy to work across multiple sectors and with a variety of actors.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse organization.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Ability and willingness to travel and stay in the field, regularly.
- Ability to manage conflict and reach and build consensus.
- Willingness to live and work in difficult and rapidly changing conditions.
- Constructive and pro-active communication with a wide variety of actors and stakeholders.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Norwegian Church Aid.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned.
- The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Deadline: 28th December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and CV in a single MS Word document to “The Human Resources, Norwegian Church Aid” via: email@example.com using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Applications not following the given format will not be considered.
- Note that background checks will be conducted thorough the HR offices of your current and previous employers
- Your three PROFESSIONAL referees MUST be your current or previous line managers and MUST be official emails.
- Qualified Borno State indigenes are encouraged to apply.
- Position opens to both female and male candidates.
- This position is open to Nigerian nationals only.