Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Information Management (IM) / GIS Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract type: National contract
- The IM and GIS Officer is responsible for HDP information management system, more specifically the Explosive Ordnance Risk Education (EORE) and Non-Technical Survey (NTS) activities.
- He/She will manage the database according to International Mine Action Standards.
- He/She will be responsible of designing relevant maps based on the information provided by the technical teams.
- The IM/GIS officer will also support in providing recommendations on software to be acquired and mentor the teams in data collection processes and use of data collection and management tools (i.e. GPS).
The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Support the project team in preparing technical specifications of the appropriate hardware and software required for better management of GIS database.
- Evaluate and improve the existing IM/GIS database including reference data sets and layers to reflect key information from KAP surveys, need assessments, EORE, NTS and produce printable maps reflecting the different layers of information.
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of DRC field operations and other concerned partners.
- Support DRC field teams to conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field according to need.
- Maintain, update and expand DRC IM/GIS system from data analysis, dissemination and reporting and map/factsheet production.
- Provide mapping support for supplementary products developed by the field assessment and survey teams.
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions for assessments, NTS and EORE for DRC Nigeria. This responsibility may include training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis, and ad hoc mapping support upon request.
- Organize /supervise IM/GIS field missions.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
- A minimum 2 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in humanitarian context.
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of Humanitarian Mine Action
- Considerable experience analyzing complex data.
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility.
- High-level autonomy and willingness to spend time in DRC field locations.
- University Degree or advanced training / course in Geography / GIS or related field.
- Familiarity with IMSMA system
- Knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages.
- Experience in the design and use of data analysis algorithms, photogrammetry, and data products
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (ArcGIS Survey123, ODK, ONA).
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
- The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Deadline: 27th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Staff Only.
- All applicants must send a CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer.
- Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- NB: DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
- Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees.
- All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor.
- At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!