Helen Keller International (HKI) – Established in 1915, is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States.
HKI implements integrated package of cost-effective interventions that are proven to improve maternal and child nutrition. HKI supports policies and programs on food fortification, vitamin A supplementation, infant and young child feeding, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, community-based management of acute malnutrition and prevention and treatment of neglected tropical diseases. At the core of HKI’s programs is advocacy and social behavior change communication to various stakeholders. HKI also undertakes cutting-edge research to influence policy decisions and inform program quality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Officer
Locations: Sokoto, Kebbi and Bauchi
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
Scope of the Position
- The Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Officer will be responsible for the implementation of the nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities of the project including the introduction/promotion of nutrition-sensitive crops, sensitization and awareness creation to prevent malnutrition, support to women, and the most vulnerable beneficiaries targeted by the project.
- Coordinate and implement the nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities of the project in the state through increasing market access and consumption of diverse and quality foods, as well as increasing resilience of vulnerable households and communities. Integrate food and nutrition security into agriculture activities
- Raise community awareness and consumption of diversified, nutrient dense, fortified and nutritionally adequate foods.
- Improve nutritional status and intervention outcome through increasing production of diverse and safe foods, increased household food availability and gender sensitive interventions.
- Coordinate capacity building and technical support for beneficiaries on nutrition-sensitive agriculture issues including dietary diversification and nutrient dense diets, food preparation and utilization; best practices; and energy and time saving technologies for women
- Work with the M&E officer to monitor beneficiary adoption of the new nutrition targeted agricultural practices and food consumption methodologies.
- Promote food safety including appropriate methods of handling, preservation, processing, storage and utilization of foods.
- Establish linkages and facilitate collaboration across relevant sectors, agencies and public and private sector stakeholders working with the targeted communities.
- Promote water and sanitation activities in the targeted communities.
- Strengthen and promote community engagement processes in the project areas, particularly identifying project beneficiaries, assessing their needs and addressing and resolving community issues.
- Perform and document regular monitoring of all project activities in close coordination with the project team.
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Nutrition or other relevant disciplines
- At least 6 years’ experience implementing nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities in Nigeria
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills In English Language, as well as the ability to report to and advise the State Coordinator on emerging issues.
- Able to work on own initiative with a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Computer literacy with good knowledge of office applications is required.
- Excellent knowledge of Hausa is highly desired.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the state as required.
Deadline: 31st December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as one document to: email@example.com using the job title and the location as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.