King’s College Hospital – We are one of London’s leading hospitals with a world-class reputation, but our roots lie in the heart of our community. Every day we care for patients from some of the most deprived communities in the capital and from some of the wealthiest. Our globally renowned specialties – including liver, diabetes, and sickle cell – are largely driven by the health problems of our ethnically diverse local community.
King’s is also one of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals. We train 400 doctors, 275 nurses, and 750 dentists each year, in partnership with King’s College London. We have a reputation to maintain, so we are looking to recruit great people. Whether you work in medicine, nursing, administration, scientific services, or patient support, we want you to keep up our high standards and push them even higher.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Medical Officer – The AMCE, Abuja, Nigeria Executives / VSM
Job ref: 213-CORP-2475
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employer type: NHS
Main area: Director
Grade: Executives / VSM
Hours: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Employer: King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Contract: Permanent – Secondment / Fixed Term would be considered
Working for our Organisation
- The African Medical Centre of Excellence will be implemented in four phases over a six-year period, starting with a 170-bed specialist hospital before expanding to a 500-bed facility. The centre will have the potential to provide services to over 200,000 patients in Nigeria and a further 150,000 patients from neighbouring West African countries within its first five years of operation.
- The clinical areas the centre will specialise in are: Cardiology, Haematology and Oncology. This will include specialist diagnostic services for genomics and oncology and state of the art imaging and treatment capabilities. A range of businesses providing relevant health support will support this facility and provide commercial services to its patients and staff.
- The AMCE will be located in Abuja, Nigeria which has the highest GDP in Africa, estimated at USD 448 Billion (World Bank, 2019), and a leading oil producer in Africa. Nigeria is also multi-ethnic and culturally diverse with a population of about 200.9 million people spread across a federation of 36 autonomous states and the Federal Capital Territory. Nigeria is also blessed with many natural landmarks and wildlife reserves which have waterfalls, dense rainforest, savanna and rare primate habitats including Protected areas such Cross River National Park and Yankari National Park and one of the most recognisable sites in Abuja, Zuma Rock.
- Are you looking for a new, exciting and challenging opportunity to expand your portfolio of expertise? We would like to invite an experienced Chief Medical Officer to join our ground breaking healthcare facility in Nigeria, West Africa!
- African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) has announced the commencement of its African Medical Centre of Excellence (AMCE) project in Abuja, Nigeria. It will provide excellent care to both low and high-income patient groups across the continent.
- The AMCE in Partnership with King’s College Hospital London will be located in Abuja, which is a hub for travel in Nigeria and West Africa, enabling it to attract patients across the region.
- We are looking for an ambitious Chief Medical Officer to join our senior leadership team, to work closely with the Chief Executive, to provide strategic leadership, and influence and shape the delivery of outstanding Medical care across the AMCE and ensuring that the organisation is best placed to deliver the highest quality of care, meeting the expectations of patients, carers, commissioners and the wider system.
Main Duties of the Job
The Ideal Candidate:
- Pioneers new ways of working, act as a figurehead and dynamic reference point as well as promote the ‘best of care by the best of people’.
- Leads on the promotion, innovation and transformation of clinical services and pathways using information and technologies.
- As an Executive Director, the Chief Medical Officer will be a full member of the AMCE’s Executive Management Team and will share corporate responsibility for the decisions of the Board. You will play a key role in the establishment of the AMCE through the set-up and planning phases (design, build, planning) through ramp-up and into the full operational phase and beyond.
- The Chief Medical Officer will provide advice to the Chief Executive and Board on all medical issues and lead clinical collaboration within the organisation and with partner providers such as King’s College Hospital London and The Christie Hospital.
- The Chief Medical Officer has a key role in developing clinical leadership through the management model which will deliver a robust Clinical Services Strategy that supports effective and efficient models of service delivery and high-quality patient care.
- They will work alongside the Chief Nursing Officer to provide strong joint clinical leadership that is visible to medical and clinical colleagues as well as commissioners, insurance providers and all partners. Additionally and crucially, you will build relationships with other tertiary providers on the continent to establish ACME as a leader and in setting a high benchmark for healthcare across Africa.
- The Chief Medical Officer will contribute to the development and delivery of the wider clinical care systems and organisational agenda, and will work with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure effective service delivery.
- The Chief Medical Officer will work with the Chief Nursing Officer to provide a medical viewpoint to elements of Patient Safety and patient experience including all aspects of clinical governance
- The Chief Medical Officer will also work in conjunction with the Chief Executive and Chief Nursing Officer to manage and deliver large complex plans such as Quality Assurance and Workforce planning.
- The Chief Medical Officer, with their clinical colleagues and the Head of Human Resources, will support the development and enhanced clinical practice of the registered professional groups in the AMCE.
- They will be innovative in maximising clinical productivity and safety to be able to scan the horizon for opportunities which will benefit clinical delivery of services. Using networks and strong partnerships to identify such opportunities as well as influence the delivery of urgent care at a regional and national level.
- The Chief Medical Officer will be expected to be visible within the clinical environment, but will not be expected to be clinically active.
In summary, the Chief Medical Officer will:
- Provide dynamic managerial and clinical leadership to the medical profession in the AMCE and play a major role in building high calibre, high performing, multidisciplinary clinical teams.
- Provide exemplary leadership to the development of academic and research activities in the AMCE, working closely with King’s College Hospital London [KCH].
- Lead the AMCE’s aspiration to be the employer of choice in the region, where the clinical environment attracts the best clinical talent.
- Take the lead role in shaping the policies and strategies for developing and transforming medical practice throughout the AMCE, in order to ensure high-quality, safe, personal and effective care is consistently delivered to our patient population.
- Undertake the role of “Caldicott Guardian” (or similar) to ensure the highest levels of confidentiality and security for patient identifiable information are maintained.
- Take a lead role in identifying, supporting and managing clinical ‘talent’ to enable effective involvement and success in the AMCE.
- Registered medical qualification educated to Master’s level or equivalent specialist medical qualification
- Member / Fellow of appropriate medical Royal College / Higher degree or diploma (e.g., MD, PhD or equivalent)
- Evidence of continuing professional and personal development, including development as a leader Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or equivalent.
- The salary on offer will be paid in US Dollars and not Great British Pounds. The salary has only been advertised in Great British Pounds, to follow the guidelines set by the Government Digital Service (GDS). An Oanda spot rate for USD/GBP as of 10th of January 2022 at 15:30, was used for conversion.
- Accommodation Allowance
- Annual Flight allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Health insurance
- Indemnity insurance
- Exclusive Memberships.
Deadline: 4th February, 2022 at 23:59.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Given the nature of the roles being applied for in Nigeria, candidate information will be shared with Afremibank Privacy notice – African Export-Import Bank (afreximbank.com) as part of the recruitment process.