The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) MEAL Manager
Requisition ID: req25532
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damaturu of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, and Economic Recovery and Development.
- The Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) sector implements impact-based projects based on three of IRC’s Outcome Evidence Framework (OEF) i.e. People meet basic needs, People are food secure and People generate income and assets.
- IRC Nigeria focuses on the following: Emergency response in meeting food and basic needs through Cash and Voucher Assistance, strengthening Livelihoods for Youths; and Value Chain development agricultural production development
Job Overview / Summary
- The MEAL Manager for ERD position reports to the ERD Coordinator with technical oversight by the MEAL Coordinator. This position is responsible for leading all M&E related assignments and management of the IRC ERD sectors in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- The position supports the development and implementation of the programs monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning strategy to ensure quality, timely, and accurate information in support of the implementation of sector activities.
- This position will support the review of proposals to ensure that core sector MEAL activities are adequately captured, as well as ensure project logframes are well designed in line with the IRC measurement standards.
- Lead the development and deployment of ERD assessment and monitoring tools
- Work with the ERD coordinator and SPC in streamlining logical frameworks into ERD proposal and business development processes
- Engage in the design, method and conduct of assessment, surveys and research such as Market Assessments, Needs Assessments, Price Monitoring, context analysis, baseline, PDM’s and end line, and also facilitate the commission of evaluations in coordination with colleagues and partners.
- Develop and manage ERD M&E data for IRC annual stats, reports, fact sheets and SMT updates.
- Support program team to manage distribution lists and inventory balancing/stocktaking after distributions
- Identify gaps in data platform usage by program and M&E staff e.g Kobotoolbox, Commcare, RedRose e.t.c. and provide training to bridge those gaps
- Lead on presentation of ERD M&E data during internal and external meetings
- Develop and Manage data tracking database for all ERD project portfolios which are updated in real time
- Monitor relevant assessments and monitoring of Cash Voucher Assistance, in-kind and business grant disbursement activities
- Identify, detail and share lessons learned to improve services and results for our clients
- Responsible for providing consistent, supportive supervision as necessary to meet monitoring objectives and ensure data quality
- Undertake regular analysis of monitoring data and work closely with ERD technical coordinator to facilitate decision making for real time program adaptation
Design and Development:
- Support the ERD sector in development of detailed and coherent MEAL plans that provide
- Logical frameworks
- Functional databases
- Accessible project data
- Provide support in establishment and maintenance of monitoring systems within sectors.
- Use learning evidence and data from previous projects to inform proposal design in the absence of the MEAL coordinator, work with the sector team to ensure that proposals are reflective of organizational and donor protocols.
Data Management and Quality Assurance:
- Review existing M&E tools, systems and approaches and design various ERD data collection tools, lead data collection processes and ensure high quality data is collected
- Advocate for and support the expansion of standard mobile data technology and online dashboards to enhance timeless and quality data collection, analysis and visualization
- Develop digital data collection tools and processes for online data management
- Establish and ensure timely data flow, quality checks and audits and updating of data visualization.
- Undertake regular analysis of monitoring data and work closely with technical coordinators to facilitate decision making for real time program adaptation.
- Participate in program coordination meeting and progress against activities and budget.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: ERD Coordinator
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Senior MEAL Manager
- Position directly Supervises: ERD M&E Officer
- Coordination: Regional ERD Measurement Officer, Senior Program Coordinators and Grants.
- Bachelor Degree in Statistics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Project Management or any other relevant discipline. A Master’s Degree in any field is an added advantage
- 4-5 years of consistent, proven, and successful experience in monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning – specific experience in feedback management will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated understanding or project management in a similar role/with similar responsibilities in a multi sectoral and multi donor environment
- Strong team management experience with sound capacities to work in a diversified team
- Willingness to work under pressure and stressful situations without minimal supervision and without compromising deadlines or quality
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills and competency in word, Excel, PowerPoint, Kobo toolbox, commcare
- Willingness to travel to field sites under demanding conditions
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Competencies in Power BI, ARCH GIS, SPSS is an added advantage .
Ability to Travel:
- 20%-40% of time.
Standards of Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online