Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
Requisition ID: req13074
Employment Type: Full-time (with a contract for 1 year, renewable subject to availability of funding.)
Project Overview and Role
- Data.FI is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the HIV and COVID-19 response. Data.FI partners with programs to accelerate and sustain access to high-quality data to expedite HIV and COVID-19 epidemic control and maintenance.
- By improving global, regional, national, and community/local in-depth analyses of HIV and COVID-19 epidemiologic and programmatic data, Data.FI expedites program achievements to improve client services and attain and sustain control of the epidemics.
- Data.FI supports host country governments to enhance existing health information systems (HIS), informing management responses to gaps in programming and sustaining impact by supporting local partner transition.
Purpose of Position
- We are seeking to employ a Senior Software Engineer who will provide leadership support to the Data.Fi Nigeria software development team.
- S/he will be responsible for directing the development team in the design, development, coding, testing, and debugging of applications with guidance from the HI Lead and the DIAS regional team.
- The Senior Software Engineer would oversee task management, standardization, skills improvement, technical meetings, and documented sprint demos in addition to validating team performance metrics while ensuring effective communication between team members and other project functional areas.
- S/he will co-facilitate the Health Informatics Community of Practice (CoP) technical working groups and ensure code collaborations and cooperation between the CoP technical teams. S/he will further rally the software development team towards the product vision and technical strategy.
- The Senior Software Engineer will report to the Health Informatics Lead.
- This is a full-time position with a contract for 1 year, renewable subject to availability of funding.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the software development team in the design, development, coding, testing, and debugging of country-level digital tools
- Take a leadership role in the development and implementation of technical strategies and solution architectures and design of the project’s suite of technologies
- Work closely with stakeholders including the product owners to understand business requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the development team
- Lead the planning and documentation of technical specifications of system design and features
- Ensure that all technical and user requirements, requested enhancements, and reported bugs are accurately captured, validated, and prioritized into the portfolio backlog, product backlogs and comprehensively logged as Epics, Features, Stories, and Tasks on Jira.
- Co-facilitate review sprints with product owners and other stakeholders to secure approval and acceptance from the product owners, and Retrospect sprints to capture lessons learned and actionable improvements applicable to future sprints
- Mentoring team members and ensuring they adhere to determined software quality standards
- Lead implementation of Palladium’s standardized software development approach, including accompanying tools and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Work closely with the Health Informatics Lead to plan for and prioritize resource needs for systems development
- Lead and participate in the writing of testable, scalable, and efficient code and leading code reviews
- Spearhead adoption and compliance to global best practices including the principles of digital development, applicable coding conventions, open standards, and security standards.
- Work with the Health Informatics lead and DIAS Regional Team in specific application release planning and development of deployment schedules.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in the development and implementation of digital health tools specifically relating to technology and data solutions in a data-driven environment.
- Solid technical background with understanding or hands-on experience in development and implementation of Information Systems that support health and social protection programs
- Minimum of 2 years experience leading software development teams overseeing end-to-end design, development, and deployment of software solutions
- Solid knowledge of responsive web design using Bootstrap and related technologies.
- Experience with relational databases, schema design, and performance analysis.
- Experience deploying large-scale solutions using containers and other cloud technologies.
- Solid Java capabilities and techniques.
- Solid knowledge of Spring Boot, Spring Security, Spring JPA & Hibernate.
- Good experience with Git or similar version control systems.
- Advanced knowledge of relational data modelling concepts and experience in PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Work with the DevOps to establish, refine, adapt, and manage software development and information technology operations (DevOps) processes and tools as required.
- Experience using digital tools to manage projects, such as Microsoft Teams, Planner, Jira.
- Experience working with technology teams to ensure design and solution architecture outputs meet the business requirements.
- Experience with Global Goods for digital health such as DHIS, OpenMRS and OpenHIE.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice.
- Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to discuss.
- Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process