The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Finance and Administration Manager
Job ID: R1864
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Reports To: State Coordinator
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH.
- The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention. PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Malaria Elimination Programs (SMEPs) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020
- The State Finance and Administration Manager will be responsible for assisting the State Coordinator/DFA with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately the U.S. Government or other donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
- The person will be responsible for ensuring that any money expended in the field is done in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH policy, and any cost principles imposed by the donor agency.
- The person will become aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- Review payment vouchers and ensure proper code all transactions.
- Exercising control and monitoring all expenses from the petty cash,
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the field.
- Prepare and control advances.
- Ensure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the MSH account.
- Supervises deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone, supplies etc)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Capacity building of team members.
- Preparation and filing of forms for payments of taxes and social security.
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize MSH’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize MSH’s cash exposure.
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with MSH policies and procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Systems are in place to:
- Ensure that appropriate staff members are aware of and understand laws, contract/award and donor requirements, and MSH policies and procedures
- Monitor and ensure compliance
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor.
- The responsibilities and duties are indicative only. The responsibilities and duties are subject to change to meet the needs of the project, the organization and the donor.
Qualifications, Experience and Required Skills and Competencies
- Master’s Degree in Accounting / Finance is required. Alternatively, University Degree in Accounting / Finance with 7 years post degree experience or equivalent certification from a Business Technical School with 10 years of post-diploma experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant progressive experience.
- 3 years of managerial experience.
- Knowledge and experience of handling U.S. government funded projects. Including knowledge of donor rules and regulations.
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting.
- Ability to use basic accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks).
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the MSH’s values
- Strong team working orientation with a flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organization
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills and Good ethical conduct.
- Performing financial management of the project.
- Timely transactions recording, reviewing, vouchers file management and preparing necessary reports.
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliations.
- Understanding of principals of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Ability to manage teams in Abuja and in the states.
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizes tasks, and meets deadlines.
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Should have good understanding of the Nigerian health system and the interrelationships within the public and private health sector.
- Knowledge and minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience working on malaria control in public and private in Nigeria
- In depth knowledge of malaria and public health principles with proven technical skills in malaria, including malaria case management, and integrated community case management of childhood illnesses
- Experience working with Ministry of Health and other Health Departments/Agencies on policy and strategy formulation at national and/or subnational levels;
- Experience with broader human resource capacity building
- Nigerian with good understanding of local context.
- Significant experience in project management, program coordination and sound negotiation skills with malaria partners;
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to Multi task and organize ongoing projects, looking for ways to become more efficient in completing tasks.
Management Sciences for Health offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Deadline: 30th April, 2022 (midnight WAT).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.