Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Officer – PLANE
Job ID: 220003NI
Employee Status: Permanent
Post Type: National
Contract Length: 1 year (renewable), Fixed Term
Reports to: Education Coordinators in Jigwa/Kaduna and Education Manager Kano
Staff directly reporting to this post: Community Mobilization Assistants in Kano, Jigawa & Kaduna
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
Team: Education Team – FCDO Funded Partnership for Learning for All in Nigeria (PLANE) Window 3 – Community Support to Learning
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Role Purpose and Description
- Partnership for Learning for All in Nigeria (PLANE) Windows 3 is an FCDO funded program with a key outcome to promote learning and inclusion of girls in Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states and policy at federal/national level as appropriate.
- The Education Manager will lead in all Education activities for the project and consortium partners.
- This includes, leading in the development and implementation of the project Detail Implementation Plan (DIP), Procurement Plan, Activity Based Budget (ABB) for Education Component that will generate evidence, maintain accountability standards and ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and learning of the education project.
- FCDO funded PLANE Window 3 is an innovative model for education interventions focusing on out of school children especially girls. The PLANE Window 3 Theory of Change focuses on provision of basic foundational skills and improved learning environment for out of school children in the North-western Nigeria.
- The funding for PLANE Window 3 – Community Support to Learning is ensured that out of school children (OOSC) in priority areas have flexible, responsive routes into learning opportunities, that support their transition into formal schools and further levels of education and that support their holistic wellbeing and development.
- Education coordinator provides both operational and technical assistance on all aspects relating to education interventions for PLANE Window 3 project.
- The job holder will provide coordination and management of education component including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting both internally (within SCI) and externally (for/with partners).
- The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
- Under the guidance of the Education Manager Kano and Education Coordinators Jigawa/Kaduna the Education Officer will ensure that PLANE Window 3 is implemented in a coordinated, harmonized and aligned manner, in line with donor requirements and commitments.
- The Education Officer will be responsible for supporting the Education Manager Kano and Education Coordinators in Jigawa and Kaduna in submission of timely and regular progress narrative and financial reports.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
- Implement delegated portfolio of PLANE Window 3 Project in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Ensure that procurement and distribution of materials and equipment is timely and in line with SCI policies and procedures; ensure accuracy of portfolio inventory (assets, supplies, materials)
- Contribute to assessments (baseline, needs, market)
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management
- Facilitate relationships with communities and community leaders to ensure buy-in and Do No Harm
- Supervise and manage the teachers, including facilitation of teacher training
- Provide support on youth/adolescent programming, including, life skills, basic literacy/numeracy, and alternative/accelerated education
- Support identification of needs, and development and facilitation of training programmes for teachers, PTAs, SBMCs
- Facilitate recruitment of volunteer teachers and learning facilitators in the project
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs/gaps
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager
Operational Planning and Implementation:
- Work closely with Project Coordinator Education, to ensure planning of day to day implementation, update on spending, implementation, monitoring, and documentation and reporting for PLANE WINDOW 3 PROJECT.
- Ensure timely implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the teachers and partners in proper service delivery are in line with PLANE Window 3 Project design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realized in line with the funding proposals.
- Ensure that PLANE Window 3 Project implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Contribute in the preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- participate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Project Coordinator Education and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the Community Mobilization Assistant and other staff and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the Community Mobilization Assistant.
- Coaching and mentoring the Community Mobilization Assistant on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of Community Mobilization Assistant through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for Community Mobilization Assistant
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- In liaison with Project Coordinator Education and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Education.
- Experience in managing integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights, governance or Teaching at The Right Level (TaRL) is a must.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 2 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working on TaRL and with Out of School Children (OOSC) with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in the Northwest Nigeria is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal) and Local language skills (Hausa, Fulfulde etc.).
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Deadline: 24th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply