African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Health Economist (RDGS)
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Position Number: 50063250
Position Grade: LP4
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and (iii) develop new financing instruments.
- The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People.
The Hiring Departement / Division
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, spearheads the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s.
- The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Employment Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to higher education and skills development; and (ii) Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division, which focuses on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing. The Department leads on the implementation of the Bank wide Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy.
- The Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division leads the development and promotion of the Bank’s policy and strategy work so that operations (both Sovereign Operations and Non-Sovereign Operations), which are identified, developed and executed by the Bank effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies.
- The Division has recently led the preparation of A Strategy for Quality Health Infrastructure in Africa. The Division provides technical guidance/advisory services and expertise to regional hubs by generating relevant knowledge and gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions.
- The Division also fosters strategic partnerships with regional and global partners to leverage resources into the human capital development sectors.
- It also directly contributes to the work of the various initiatives and trust funds hosted under AHHD; and ensures coherence of the Bank’s action in public health, social protection and nutrition across regions.
The Principal Health Economist reports to the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division. She/he will support the Bank’s health agenda in Southern Africa as follows:
- Support Southern African countries in strengthening their health systems.
- Apply the theories and techniques of health economics in the relevant range of duties assigned to her/him. This will include, inter alia, analysis of trends and modalities of health systems strengthening and financing, value for money analysis, review of national health and social policies and strategies in the light of international experience and utilization of economic approaches in the design of the Bank’s projects and strategies.
- Implement the action plan of the Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division.
- Strengthen relevant institutions through advisory services and capacity building programmes and other forms of support.
- Contribute or where appropriate, lead, the preparation and appraisal of lending operations for both public and private sectors.
- Contribute to project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing in public sector, private sector and public-private partnership settings.
- Assess applications and requests from RMCs and other eligible clients and make appropriate recommendations to Management on the suitability of potential Bank support.
- Initiate and lead knowledge work, technical and sectoral studies on the Bank’s health agenda, in particular regarding access to the last mile.
- All above responsibilities entail close working relationships with the Bank’s Country Managers in Southern African countries and within the relevant partnerships of which the Bank is a member, as well as with individual donor institutions as appropriate.
- Enhance project implementation quality, timeliness and integrity through developing and implementing controls that minimize slippages.
- Provide expertise to the Department and other relevant Bank’s departments.
- Provide documented strategic advice to Management.
- Contribute to the preparation of policies and strategies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Formulate and propose Bank’s Country Assistance Strategies for the Social Sector by:
- Carrying out analyses of the social situations in Southern African countries, and in particular the health system, and analyzing systems and financing constraints, collecting and analysing data on demographic trends, human, material and infrastructure resources, as well as financing and equity indicators.
- In charge of recommending social sector studies/projects/programmes to be included in the Bank’s lending program for Southern African countries, particularly in the areas of health infrastructure, e-health, health insurance, private sector, pharmaceutical and biomedical industry.
- Overseeing Economic and Sector Work (ESWs) to inform country dialogue and policies to secure sustainable financing and social protection, provide effective oversight of the health sector, set standards for PPPs and ensure that infrastructure investments result in sustainable improvements in quality health services.
- In charge of preparing terms of reference and supervising studies in the social sector, and in particular, health sector and assisting borrowers in recruiting consultants, as well as reviewing and approving reports.
- Initiating and maintaining a high-level policy dialogue with borrowers and other agencies involved in the social sector but more particularly in the health sector.
- Guiding the Government/Bank’s Management on proposed health sector strategies and policies and future operational plans. In particular, review technical issues, and propose recommendations relevant to socio-economic policies and their relationship with other sectors within the Bank.
Initiate and conduct missions to:
- Identify, prepare, appraise and launch health projects/programs for Bank-financing and contribute to the same processes for social sector projects/programs.
- Carry out financial and economic analysis underpinning health projects and provide recommendations regarding the amounts and terms and conditions of the Bank’s loans and grants.
Carry out technical supervision, mid-term review and project completion missions of on-going social projects/programs, more particularly in the health sector by:
- In charge of monitoring the achievements of Bank-funded programs;
- Conducting analysis of Bank project economic and financial performance including cost- effectiveness, cost-benefit, benefit incidence analysis and as the case may be, impact analysis;
- Preparing and monitoring portfolio performance reports for the social sector and in particular, in the health sector.
Identify and coordinate the needs for co-financing social projects/programmes and initiate proposals for funding for public and private sectors by:
- Contribute to project identification, preparation and appraisal across public sector, private sector and public-private partnerships;
- Operationalizing an integrated approach to sustainable development, taking into account cross-cutting issues i.e. poverty, environment, population, gender and institutional development;
- In charge of reviewing social sector aid programs of other donor agencies and determining financing gaps;
- Representing the Bank/Department at national and international relevant meetings;
Perform other technical and administrative duties as required by Management by:
- Participating in working groups, committees and meetings and assisting other staff assigned to same or related functions;
- Reviewing reports prepared by consultants on social sector issues and make recommendations to the Division Manager.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
Including desirable skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Development Economics, Health Economics, Business Administration and or Economics of Service Delivery.
- At least Six (6) years relevant experience in policy and strategy development and conducting economic and financial analysis of health programmes and projects particularly in Africa. Strong analytical and quantitative skills as demonstrated by the production and or contribution to analytical reports/publications.
- Experience in analysis of health policies and strategies in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
- Proven capacity to present ideas and prepare technical documents.
- Perseverance in pursuing objectives in the face of obstacles.
- Capacity to propose and implement solutions to problems.
- Capacity to guide colleagues and monitor activities
- Team player with cross-cultural and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build partnerships and deliver services that meet both immediate needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Demonstrates accountability in decisions and judgement.
- Promotes open and frank strategic/technical discussion.
- Ability to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French. A working knowledge of the other will be an asset.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Deadline: 29th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
Leave a Reply