The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Project Officer (MPA/AVRR) – NOA
SVN No. : SVN2022.90
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (MM)
IOM Classification: NOA
Type of Appointment: Special Short–Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, Migrant Protection and Assistance Programs and the direct supervision of the Project Officer (MPA/AVRR).
- The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and monitoring the implementation of IOM’s activities to support sustainable reintegration initiatives in Nigeria.
- S/he will also provide technical guidance and implement targeted actions aimed at strengthening the capacities of national partners on sustainable reintegration of returning migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the Reintegration Officer in overall monitoring of individual, collective and community reintegration.
- Identification of areas of support and interventions within the reintegration thematic area.
- Liaise and maintain partnerships with UN agencies, government institutions, implementing partners, and other relevant stakeholders, supporting strategic discussions relevant to reintegration.
- In close coordination with the Project Officer, coordinate and monitor the implementation of ongoing projects in a well-coordinated and coherent manner, including support to preparation of annual work plans, drafting terms of reference, arranging for training activities workshops, preparing necessary correspondence, drafting project cooperation agreements, memoranda of understanding et al.
- Support the planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring and evaluation of the project and contribute to the assessment of the impact and effectiveness of the assistance through regular consultation with relevant stakeholders including government counterparts, beneficiaries’ appropriate baselines, conduct regular field visits and preparation of progress and other required reports.
- Track use of resources in accordance with IOM rules and regulations, effectively applying result-based management tools to support achievement of result.
- Provide technical assistance, guidance, and support to implementing partners and government counterpart.
- Present technical and policy information on reintegration to the Programme Manager
- Assist in coordination programme initiatives on returns with other stakeholders and develop inter-agency synergies, supporting a common vision and implementation approach.
- Assist in resource mobilization efforts, including the identification of project opportunities and inputs to the development of project proposals.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge management products on reintegration issues.
- Coordinate effective documentation of project results, benchmarking on best practices et al
- Organize training for project staff / implementing partners / government institution on return/reintegration issues.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Migration Studies, Economics, Management, Humanitarian Affairs, International Relations or other relevant social science disciplines, or University Degree with minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience, management and monitoring of livelihoods, reintegration, and community development.
- Minimum of two (2) years of managerial experience in the below field.
- Preferably within the United Nationals Common System and the International Humanitarian Field.
- Highly conversant with various Nigerian public institutions and legislations relevant to the IOM reintegration programme
- Experience in working with migrants and source/transit communities; particularly the socio-economic reintegration of returnees or other groups.
- Familiarity with programmatic issues surrounding return, reintegration, and migration management.
- Proven capacity of and experience in team building.
- Familiarity with relevant policies including migration management, return migration employment creation, income generation and reintegration would be an asset.
- Experience in gender and protection of sensitive programming and implementation would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- English Language (Oral and Written)
- Working knowledge of the local language
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 8th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the Position number as the subject of the email.
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- In order for your Applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2022.90 Lagos. National Project Officer (MPA/AVRR) NOA”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.