Hartleys Supermarket & Stores is a place of choice for a wide variety of fresh meats and produce and other quality groceries. Here at Hartleys, we are driven by a lifelong commitment to delivering healthy food selections at affordable prices in a refreshingly clean and organized shopping environment. We remain true to our tagline “smiles in every aisle” because for us, it is personal. That’s why we go above and beyond to offer quality products and outstanding service to the people who matter most – you, our customers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Internal Control Manager
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Level: Mid-Senior
Business Units: Retail
- The Internal Control Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the Internal Control and Compliance Framework of Hartleys Supermarket and Stores.
- The job holder will develop policies and procedures and monitor compliance in line with external regulations.
- Prepare Internal Control plan and provide oversight and direction in the execution, and reporting of internal Control engagements and projects within established timelines and budgets
- Conduct periodic financial, compliance, operational and special audits and carry out investigations into reported irregularities, as required.
- Review analyses of non-conformities, discuss audit findings across the organization and suggest recommendations.
- Report to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors regarding internal control matters, results of audit reviews, the progression of audit plan and any other matters of discussion.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and changing regulatory guidelines to enable the development and implementation of appropriate control measures and monitoring mechanism as well as their continuous update / revision.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings with key stakeholders.
- Developing and executing internal control activities, consult with management on strategic plans and other business matters, and anticipate emerging risks.
- Documenting and testing business process and IT controls that support key operations.
- Evaluating control deficiencies, and monitoring remediation actions, timelines, and progress.
- Proactively inform senior management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Facilitate continuous identification and periodic assessment of business risks in the operating environment and update the risk registers.
- Monitor and report on key risk indicators (KRIs) and implementation of risk mitigation strategies.
- Ensure appropriate level of communication is maintained on Internal Control matters to support the framework and ensure appropriate ownership and accountabilities from management and managers.
- Conduct follow-up reviews of financial, operational, or regulatory compliance deficiencies noted during audits.
- Prepares monthly exception reports and presents to the Group Managing Directors.
- Apply a rigorous and efficient risk-based audit approach which delivers robust assurance on the effectiveness of risk management and control measures.
- Build and manage great relationships with business partners, providing insights and challenges that enable them to proactively manage performance.
- Deliver insights that are highly valued, identify root causes, share best practices and lead to business improvement.
- Perform scheduled and unscheduled (spot checks) audit visits to Frutta Factory, Warehouse, Key Distributors, Hartleys Supermarkets floor, warehouse and its environments.
- Maintain the whistle-blowing channels of the Company and provide periodic reports to the Board.
- Conduct investigations on reported cases of fraud and misconduct and prepare investigation reports.
- Flexibility to carry out any other task as requested by Management and Board of the Group.
Key Performance Indicators
- Adequacy of the internal audit and control plan.
- Level of execution/achievement against the IARC plan.
- Accuracy, timeliness, and completeness of reports.
- Number and significance of issues/ inconsistencies and process improvement opportunities identified in business processes.
- Frequency of incidences of control failure.
- Adequacy and timeliness of follow-up on regulatory and statutory filings.
- Magnitude of calculated losses due to fraud and other control failures.
- Number or frequency of queries.
- Number of unresolved cases to identified issues.
- Number of control improvements implemented annually in line with best practice recommendation.
- Decline in code of conduct violations reported via the whistle-blowing channels.
- Number of whistle-blowing cases closed out.
- Turnaround time for cases under investigation.
- Other KPIs as may be defined in line with changing business environment.
- First Degree in Accounting.
- Master’s Degree will be an advantage.
- Professional accounting certification, e.g. ACA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CISA, CIA or other relevant higher business degree as an added advantage.
Experiences (What experience brings success to this role):
- Minimum of eight (8) years internal audit and control experience across Retail Sector, with at least three (3) years at managing the strategic direction of a business risk unit.
Knowledge (What does the person need to know):
- Knowledge of internal audit methodologies, corporate governance procedures and accounting standards.
- Demonstrated understanding of operational dynamics.
- ISO/quality knowledge and Working knowledge of: Microsoft office suite, ICT and tech-based audit techniques; Data collection and analysis tools and techniques; Accounting frameworks, tools and techniques; Governance risk and control tools and techniques; Risk analysis and control assessment techniques.
- Policy and regulatory knowledge interpretation and application.
- General operations.
Technical / Behavioural Skills:
- Multi-disciplinary disposition
- Business acumen and Project management.
- Excellent report writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Good knowledge and hands on practical experience and use of accounting packages and systems.
- Forensic skills and fraud awareness.
- Good decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Good leadership and people management skills.
- Attention to details
- Performance under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Multi-tasking disposition
- Independent minded
- Persuasion and Collaboration.
N400,000 – N500,000 monthly.
Deadline: 12th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online