UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Starting Date (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 01-Dec-2022
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
Duties and Responsibilities
- The interns will work with the Programme Unit; the Women’s Peace and Security (WPS), Women’s Political Empowerment (WPE) and Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) Teams of UN Women Nigeria Country Office, supporting key programme functions including enhancing the effective participation of women in conflict prevention and peacebuilding, and improving public perception of the role of women in peace and security at the national and programme target state level.
- Under the overall supervision of the Project/Programme Managers, intern’s tasks will include, but will not be limited to:
- Assisting with relevant research on Projects; WPS, WPE and WEE in Nigeria and the region
- Providing technical, logistic and coordination support to the WPS, WPE and WEE Teams to strengthen programme intervention, including organizing relevant events, meetings, and workshops
- Assisting the Government and other stakeholders in preparation of reports and follow-up on implementing the UNSCR 1325 (2000), and subsequent National Action Plans and State Action Plans
- Developing and drafting key documents, such as concept notes, presentations, policy briefs, etc.
- Participating and contributing to relevant meetings related to programme thematic area
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is to provide students, individuals who are enrolled in a mandatory national service programme, and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds exposure to working on gender equality issues and a first-hand experience with the day-to-day working environment of UN Women.
- Under this internship, the intern will have more understanding of the WPS, WPE and WEE Agenda in Nigeria and will be expected to produce an internship report at the end of the programme.
- Where possible, UN Women will ensure interns can participate in areas of particular interest to them.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: Social Sciences including Sociology, Political Science, Law, Gender Studies, International Affairs, and/or any relevant field directly related to Gender and Peace, Security and Governance.
- Meet one of the following:
- Be enrolled in a Graduate school programme (second university Degree or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a First University Degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- Have graduated with a University Degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a Post-graduate professional traineeship program which is part of a Degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements
- Be enrolled in a mandatory national service programme of which the internship may form a part.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the UN Women programme agenda, Preventing Violent Extremism, Women’s Access to Justice, Human Trafficking, in Nigeria and the Sahel region.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to extract and interpret data
- Ability to prioritize work and to multi-task
- Knowledge of online communications platforms an advantage.
- Familiarity with Microsoft programs.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required.
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 16th November, 2022.
- All applicants must submit a completed and signed P.11 form with their application. The P11 Form can be downloaded from the following website: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID (as applicable)