The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Translator (English)
Requisition ID: 1555
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Translation Division
Directorate/Department : Conference Management & Publication
Division : Translation
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To translate official documents ensuring the highest standard of accuracy by maintaining the original spirit, context and quality of the original version using precise, clear and proper terminology.
- Provides support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation at various levels
- Liaises with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders including on relevant matters
- Prepares and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
- Conducts complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepares budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Supports the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Contributes in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
- Ensures quality English translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner and in the respective AU working languages;
- Checks working documents before and after translation to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminology;
- Facilitates consultations with colleagues, specialised dictionaries, glossaries, data banks;
- Participates in the development of AU terminology database by compiling terms in the course of their work into glossaries for subsequent validation by the Reviser and inclusion in the DCMP in-house terminology bank;
- Performs any other duty relevant to their work as may be assigned by the Director or Head of Division.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Translation, Modern Languages or related fields from a recognized institution with seven (7) years’ experience as a translator out of which 3 years are at expert level.
- Candidates with a Bachelor Degree in the above fields of study will be considered provided they have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience as translator out of which 3 years are at expert level;
- Certification of translators’ professional member status from a recognized professional body is an added advantage
- The candidate for each position is required to translate into their A language, thus an English Translator must have English as their A language; a French translator must have French as their A language, and so on for all other AU working languages.
- Knowledge of the Computer assisted translation (CAT) tools
- Management and supervisory skills
- Word processing skills, especially the ability to type and format own work;
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Negotiation and Interpersonal skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Knowledge in managing international protocols
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, strategies and work processes.
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer programmes
- Proficiency in two of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic or Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
- Strategic Insight
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules…
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing…
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation:
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Deadline: 19th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.