The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Marketing Intern
Contract Type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 6 months (January 2023 – June 2023)
- The British Council would like to offer students / graduates an experiential learning opportunity to gain real world experience through an internship programme.
- The practical experience an intern gains is expected to complement the theoretical knowledge he/she has gained during their studies.
- The intern is expected to both learn from and contribute to the workplace during the internship period, in turn providing an opportunity to increase employability skills. An outcome being that students and graduates are more employable and successful because of the skills they acquire.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall guidance of the respective Regional Senior Marketing Managers, you will support with social media management and content generation for Arts, Education and English Programmes in Nigeria.
Duties will include:
- Monitoring, uploading content and manage basic enquiries across on social media platforms
- Develop creative & engaging social media and content strategies
- Developing tools and methods for collecting data such as surveys, opinion polls or questionnaires
- Provide support with the planning and hosting of marketing events
- Collecting and analyzing data to identify consumer trends
- Researching emerging marketing strategies, evaluating consumer opinions, and proposing actionable adjustments to current strategies accordingly
- Work with Marketing manager for the planning and promotion of content
- Supporting campaign management and optimisation across multiple channels
- Assist Email management and optimization
- Recommend improvements to increase performance on the British Council Nigeria website
- Any other task as reasonably requested by the Marketing Manager, a senior member of the marketing team
Learning and Development Opportunities:
- General understanding of the work and mission of the British Council and how it contributes to the development of the Nigerian
- Insight and hands-on experience in planning and implementing digital campaigns for an Arts, Education and English Programmes
- Gaining useful office experience and the opportunity to contribute to marketing campaigns
- Networking opportunities
Management and Support:
- The intern will report to the Regional Head of Marketing, Cultural Engagement, Sub-Saharan Africa, based in Lagos. S/he will be expected to work closely with other members of the Cultural Engagement Marketing team
Essential: The ideal candidate should:
- Be a recent graduate (graduated within the last 4 years) with excellent organisational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Strong desire to learn along with professional drive
- Have an interest in different marketing techniques in digital media and social media marketing
- Experience with content creation a plus, even if not professionally
- Familiarity with social media strategies and platforms
- Have strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Be computer literate with a high degree of proficiency in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of social media trends and social networking tools
- Experience with creating content for the web such as blogging or video blogging would be an added advantage.
- All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in country of application. The British Council will not facilitate/sponsor visa applications and work permits.
Remuneration and Benefits
- The intern will be paid equivalent N130,000 salary per month
- Health Insurance (HMO) will be provided for interns who are on 6 months or more
- Group Life Insurance will be provided for all interns during throughout the duration of their internship.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st December, 2022. (23:59 South Africa Time)
- This is a short-term intern position; intern roles are not a prelude to longer term employment with the organisation. If opportunities for further paid employment arise, these will be advertised and interns who apply will be considered against the same criteria as other applicants.
- Necessary adjustments will be made for staff with disability where necessary