International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Gwoza, Borno
- Under the supervision of the Health Manager, s/he will provide professional technical advice input in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population.
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, existing and validated protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health conditions
- To provide support to the project medical team by giving specialized consultation, clinical and surgical management of obstetric and gynecological patients and to improve and reinforce the quality of obstetrics and gynecology care according to IMC standards.
- Proficient in surgical skills and procedures.
- Provision of free of charge curative health consultations
- Admission, weekly medical follow-up and discharge of the inpatient care
- Collection, computerization and analysis of weekly epidemiological data
- Reporting and attendance to different meetings
- Perform both emergency and planned OB/GYN surgery
- Manage obstetric complications such as instrumental assisted deliveries
- Manage post-operative follow-up in conjunction with an anesthetist
- Train and support both surgical and midwifery staff
- Supervise the maintenance and running of the gynecological equipment and drug consumption, preparing new orders when required and ensuring its rational use as well as that pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and available.
- This will be done in cooperation with the pharmacist and logistic staff, the management.
- Provide on-job and class regular training for medical doctors and midwifes and the management on obsobstetric gynecological conditions.
- Perform obs. Gyne-related surgeries such C/S, any other needed operation according to the indication and patients’ need.
- Actively participate in the estimation of medical supplies and materials needed for the SRH department in the project.
- Provision of free of charge curative health consultations:
- Prepare all the necessary drugs, material and equipment for health clinics.
- Follow the basic medical rules of hygiene when performing curative health consultations
- Participate actively in triage activities before to start curative health consultations.
Perform curative consultations:
- Take a proper medical history including:
- Reason for consultation
- Duration of the illness or complaints
- Main symptoms
- Past medical history and treatment.
Perform a correct physical examination:
- Inspection, auscultation, percussion, palpation
- Systematic checking of signs of severity
- Diagnose and treat the diseases according to protocols in use (i.e. clinical guidelines)
- Write the most important complaints, signs, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment on the patient’s registration form.
- Explain the treatment to the patient
- Give individual health education related to the patient’s disease
- Manage emergency cases according to IMC protocols and regulation
- Fill in the registration form for each patient, according to the diagnosis of the morbidity surveillance form
- Check the immunization status for all EPI targeted children and referred the unvaccinated children to the vaccinator
- Investigate any information regarding unusual health events or diseases outbreak, provided through any source
- Ensure patient confidentiality is respected and treat all the patients with respect and dignity
- Give suggestions to improve the functioning of IMC clinics
- Participate to weekly physical inventory of mobile clinic pharmacy
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties to ensure that beneficiaries are getting good quality services
- Perform other additional duties on request of the team leader
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem in the field.
- Qualified and registered National Medical Doctor from a recognized university with a valid practicing license from Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
- At least 2 years of progressive work experience with similar role as a Mobile clinic physician.
- Demonstrated understanding of the INGO systems and structure.
- Previous work with humanitarian organizations is added advantage
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situation
Deadline: 2nd September, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the Position as the subject of the email.