Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Employment Type: Contract
Internal Job Grade: D1
Contract type: 1 Year Fixed Term
Job Family: Business Support
Reporting to: Finance Manager
- The Finance Officer will support the delivery of all financial management functions according to Oxfam Financial Manual, including but not limited to petty cash management, monthly monitoring of financial activities, partner management, and requirements as they relate specifically to Oxfam’s relationship with partner organisations.
- S/he will check all expense supporting documentation to ensure compliance with organization’s policies and related law, prior to obtaining approvals and payment processing.
- S/he will coordinate and act as focal point for issues relating to finance at the Adamawa office.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for the management and supervision of financial administration systems and procedures, to ensure full compliance with Oxfam financial management rules and requirement
- Designs and implements a Grant Management System for partners and ensures timely, effective financing and reporting from the same.
- Supports internal and external auditing processes by providing all supporting documentation in an orderly and timely manner.
- Ensures that all payment request forms, invoices, procurement documents, receipts and any other payment documents are critically checked for accuracy and correctness and meet the organization’s minimum standard.
- Ensures proper and accurate coding of expenditure on all primary documentation
- Processes payments and transfers once a payment has been approved.
- Liaise with the Finance Manager in Abuja on the collection of bank statements in a timely manner.
- Manages and mentors a Finance Assistant and other administrative support staff in line with the approved organogram
- Participate in regular meetings with partner organisations to ensure that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open, and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives
- Generate, review, track and manage Budget Vs Actuals report of expenditures and advise Country office management in order to ensure optimal burn rate is maintained.
- May be required to sit on procurement committees and provide financial oversight in the procurement process.
- Assumes full responsibility for ensuring cash books are up to date at the end of each working day.
- Ensures records are filed and properly stored, (physically and digitally) as required by Oxfam Process and procedures.
- Responsible for verification of expenditure and implementation of corresponding payments and recoveries after their authorizations.
- Keeps all financial records and transactions relating to Oxfam Novib procedures and submits timely replenishment requests and reports
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports/statements for the project in line with standard accounting principles-including budget tracking and preparation of budget variance analysis
- Prepares cash flow statement and cash forecasts for the project as and when needed
- Liaises with the Supply and Logistics Assistant (Procurement) and Finance Manager in Abuja to ensure optimum operations.
- Ensure detailed and accurate records of all financial transactions are maintained physically and electronically in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- To perform any other duties that may be delegated by the Finance Manager.
Educational, Experience & Competence
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or any other financial related course.
- Minimum of 5 years Practical experience of all core financial management & Accounting activities, including accounts payable, bookkeeping cash management, budget development, statutory requirements and standard accounts
- Ideally 3 years out of this should have been on Contract and Grant Management within an NGO setting with a proven knowledge and experience of grant accounting and sound experience with donors funding regulations, procedures and reporting requirements
- Strong numerical skills and experience using a computerised financial management information system
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English and at least one main local language widely spoken in Northern Nigeria.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations
- Commitment to gender and diversity and to addressing inequality in all aspects of this job.
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably cooperative with members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Good analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting software etc.)
- A critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards
- Excellent organization skills and flexible approach to planning comprehensively, managing and prioritizing effectively a high workload and multiple tasks and deadline
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with a proven proactive approach to identifying and resolving problems and suggesting improvements that continuously seek to provide a better service to Oxfam.
- Recognised accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and relevant post qualification experience
- Knowledge or experience of Oxfam’s (or similar organisation’s) program work, including field experience and/or with institutional donors
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th January, 2024.