United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Shelter Assistant
Location: Yola, Adamawa
- Assist in the preparation, data collection and review of shelter needs assessments while liaising with other relevant sectors such as protection, programme, community services, WASH, administration and supply.
- Work with the relevant stakeholders to ensure that the shelter beneficiary selection process prioritises the needs of the most vulnerable Persons of Concern (PoC).
- Assist in the daily management of all UNHCR construction and infrastructure projects through Direct Implementation and Implementing Partners within the AoR ensuring that works are carried out in compliance with established UNHCR and national standards.
- Follow up of the design and construction of infrastructure (schools, health centres, reception centres, drainage and roadworks etc) to confirm these are approved by the relevant authorities, technically sound, supplemented with accurate drawings, detailed BQs and specifications and they are implemented according to plans, completed within designated timelines, budget and ensure that this information is shared with relevant colleagues.
- Work closely with other relevant sectors such as WASH, education and health so that shelter and infrastructure implementation is synchronised and coordinated.
- Assist implementing partners on technical shelter and infrastructure issues.
- Provide technical assistance in the field of shelter, construction and infrastructure development within the AoR to best meet the needs of PoC.
- Work with the government, relevant authorities and counterparts to ensure strong coordination of shelter and infrastructure projects within the AoR.
- Actively work with Programme as a member of the Multi-Functional Team and participate in multi-sectoral activities to ensure protection and assistance needs of the population are met.
- Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
- Assist in the preparation of bid documents for all construction and infrastructure projects including technical specifications, BoQs, drawings, etc.
- Assist in the technical evaluation of received bids as well as in the review/inspection of the quality of shelter and infrastructure products/works during implementation and at completion.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G5 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor’s or equivalent or higher
Relevant Job Experience:
- Relevant working experience, including collaboration with different international organizations. Good technical knowledge about construction standards and guidance, particularly knowledge on all shelter typologies utilized in UNHCR refugee responses.
- Knowledge of UNHCR shelter standards, as well as standards related to protection, environment and land use. Good knowledge of Auto Cad, site surveying and experience in undertaking related topography assessments/ feasibility studies for site identification and environmental impact studies whilst using surveying tools (including GPS equipment, GIS software).
- SP-Autocad for Settlement Planning
- SP-Topographic Surveying
- IT-Computer Literacy
- WA-WASH-related Technologies
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th February, 2024.