The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator / Head of Liaison Officer
Job Identification: 16145
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational: Non-Rotational
Job Category: Resource Mobilization
- Based in the Lagos Sub-Office (SO), the Programme Coordinator and Head of Liaison Office coordinates the Country Office programme in the states covered by the sub office, liaises, w with the private sector in Lagos and provides daily oversight in the states under the coverage of the Lagos Sub-Office.
- The Programme Coordinator and Head of Liaison Office is part of a Country Office team led by the UNFPA Representative, which provides integrated programme, technical support within the systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy, and strengthen the partnership and resource mobilization capabilities to increase domestic resource mobilization.
- The Programme Coordinator and Head of Liaison Office supports and facilitates the CO relationships with the partners in Lagos including the private sector, academia, high net worth individuals, donors, etc. and oversees the delivery of the Country Programme components to be implemented in the states under the coverage of the Lagos Sub-Office, and also plays a leadership role within the sub-office, supervising the programme team assigned to the sub-office and inspiring them to translate the country programme goals into specific solutions and results.
- S/he substantively contributes to the management of UNFPA activities in all areas of its mandate, and proactively provides UNFPA Representative with updates on programmes implementation and results in Lagos State. Furthermore, s/he supports the establishment and maintenance of collaborative relationships and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies, civil society organizations as well as community-based organizations to facilitate successful delivery of the program.
- S/he will report directly to the UNFPA Representative.
You would be responsible for
- Plays a leadership role within the sub-office, supervising the programme team assigned to the sub-office and inspiring them to translate the country programme goals into specific solutions and results.
- Provides technical oversight and coordination for the effective management of all programme outputs including development and implementation of result-based work plans, project financial monitoring and budget management.
- Facilitates the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring programme monitoring and oversight.
- Introduces into the project formulation process the results of programme and project reviews and evaluations, best practices, as well as innovative strategies, approaches and policies.
- Promotes a results-based approach, integrating innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of projects.
- Proactively provides UNFPA Representative and country office leadership team with updates on financial resources, programmes implementation and results in Lagos state
- Promotes knowledge sharing and continuous learning including testing, evaluating and documenting innovative strategies and best practices internal and external to UNFPA, and integrating these as appropriate.
- Directly supervise and coach sub-office staff.
Liaison and resource mobilization:
- Contribute to resource mobilization by identifying potential donors, preparing proposals including identifying potential co-financing resources for the country programme, and supporting the government and other agencies in coordinating assistance for programmes.
- Contribute to country office leadership team efforts to develop and implement fundraising and marketing strategies in alignement with the UNFPS’s donor relations goals.
- Provides inputs and identifies opportunities to facilitate country office advocacy with the private sector including contribution to sustainable development financing models;
- Contribute to building and cultivating strategic relationships with partners, government, private sector, individual donors and foundations to enhance UNFPA Nigeria’s profile with corporate and High Net Worth Individuals
- Advocating and promoting the digital fundraising strategy
- Represent the organization at strategic partners, government, private sector and donor events at State level
Partnership and Advocacy:
- Provides support to the Representative to ensure a harmonized and coordinated approach to UNFPA work with UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and state’s national authorities through the establishment of a wider/appropriate consultation process to strengthen the links between states counterparts and UN Agencies, taking into consideration the DaO architecture where required.
- Provides oversight and maintenance of the Due diligence process
- Contribute to country office advocacy for Demographic Dividend investments to sustain economic growth.
- Participate in policy dialogue with state governments, UN and other development partners to incorporate UNFPA’s priorities and agenda into national plans and strategies, and UN systems initiatives and development frameworks.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies, civil society organizations as well as community-based organizations to facilitate successful delivery of the programme.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Gender, International Development, or related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in program management and development relevant to Population and Development, Sexual and Reproductive Health, and Gender.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender issues.
- Experience in program and/or technical assistance with the UN System.
- Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing English, to foster engaged partnerships at the highest level and to maintain political partnerships in the assigned region.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an integrated, diverse team and be comfortable in multiple, high varied settings with different work and learning styles.
- Ability to lead and manage teams to achieve results.
- Field experience in Sub-Sahara Africa would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change.
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners / building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Advocacy / Advancing a policy-orientated agenda.
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Making decisions and exercising judgment.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th February, 2024 (11:00 PM).