Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs.
PUI is providing assistance to around 4 million people in 22 countries – in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Caucasus and Europe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Base Logistics Manager
Location: Monguno, Borno
Reports to: Field Coordinator
Duration of Mission: 6 months
- Under the responsibility of the Field Coordinator, the base logistics manager is responsible for the smooth functioning of logistics at base level.
- He/She makes sure the resources which are necessary for carrying out the programmes are available, that PUI and donors logistics procedures are applied and actively participates to the base’s safety & security management.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Safety & Security :
- He/She assists the Field Coordinator with safety & security management.
- He/She is directly responsible of the daily, concrete aspects of the base’s safety management.
- He/She coordinates supplies and deliveries for projects at base level.
- He/She guarantees that PUI’s procedures and logistical tools are in place and are respected.
- He/She is responsible of the management of computer equipment, tele/radiocommunication equipment and for the base’s energy supply.
- He/She is responsible of the management of the fleet (availability, safety, maintenance etc), for the smooth functioning of the base and the realization of activities in accordance with the available budget.
- He/She represents the organization at base level amongst partners, authorities and different local actors involved in logistics.
- He/She is responsible for all aspects of logistics reporting from the base to the coordination of the mission.
- Project Management
- Training in Public Health / Agric / Water, Sanitation / Other
- Humanitarian : Min. 2 years
- Previous experience in managing logistics of health projects.
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment):
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility Ability to withstand pressure and volatile environment
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally, and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and mandate of PUI before local authorities and suppliers
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Ability to work with different partners in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategies.
- Ability to work in deep field locations in volatile security contexts
- Ability to manage teams remotely.
- English required
- French desirable.
- Compensation:Employed with a Fixed-Term Contract
- Monthly gross income: from 1,815 up to 2,145 Euros depending on the experience in International Solidarity + 50 Euros per semester seniority with PUI.
- Cost covered: Round-trip transportation to and from home / mission, visas, vaccines.
- Insurance including medical coverage and complementary healthcare, 24/24 assistance and repatriation
- Housing in collective accommodation
- Daily living Expenses (« Per diem »)
- Break Policy: 5 working days at 3 and 9 months + break allowance
- Paid Leaves Policy: 5 weeks of paid leaves per year + return ticket every 6 months.
Specific Goals and Related Activities
Ensuring the Security of Goods and People:
- He/She ensures that the material and other resources at base level are sufficiently adapted to the safety management approach defined for the base.
- He/She participates in analyzing the base’s safety circumstances and conditions, alerts and issues recommendations to the Field Coordinator concerning potential changes relating to risks as well as measures to be put in place.
- He/She communicates, on a regular basis, with the guards and the drivers concerning accidents, risks and behavior to be embraced (regular meetings and training if necessary).
Managing the Supply Chain of the Base:
- He/She guarantees that purchase procedures are respected at base level.
- He/She works in close collaboration with the person requesting the purchase, with strong technical specificity, and carries out the appropriate conformity tests.
- He/She ensures that contracts signed are adequate in terms of effectiveness and protection of the PUI procedures.
- He/She centralizes and optimizes the grouping of purchases.
- He/She supervises the identification and referencing of suppliers and has detailed invoices for recurrent purchases at his/her disposal. He/She consolidates/updates the base price catalogue.
- He/She ensures that purchase files are correctly archived at base level.
- He/She chooses the mode of transport and the packaging of the merchandise in collaboration with the logistics coordinator.
- He/She plans and supervises the reception of materials from the coordination or other supply sites.
- He/She guarantees the management and monitoring of the base stock, according to PUI’s procedures and tools.
- He/She ensures that these are known to and understood by everyone and are applied on the base.
- He/She ensures that stocking sites are appropriate to the base needs and that merchandise is stocked appropriately in terms of location, layout and salubriousness.
- He/She organizes fluxes in merchandise, makes sure that the goods received are of a certain quality and carries out physical checks of stocked merchandise.
- He/She is attentive to the use-by-date of products, if need be.
- He/She ensures the movement/transfer of documents is properly referenced.
- He/She checks stock reports on a monthly basis.
Managing the Base Assets : Computer and Telecommunication Equipment and Energy:
- He/She defines the base technical needs and makes sure that their funding is possible, especially when new projects are being planned.
- He/she issues technical recommendations on the choice of computer equipment, tele/radiocommunication equipment and energy supply to be validated by the logistics coordinator.
- He/She authorizes the use of equipment, creates utilization procedures and trains personnel on how to use them.
- He/She ensures the monitoring of equipment (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) through regular updates of monitoring tools (property list) and the keeping of physical inventories.
- He/She supervises the installation of equipment and ensures they run smoothly and are maintained and ensures any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the consumption of equipment, if need be, and, if required, carries out necessary adjustments in accordance with utilization procedures.
Managing the Base’s Fleet:
- He/She defines transport means adapted to the needs of projects associated with the base and makes sure that the funding of this transport is possible, especially when new projects are being planned in direct collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator.
- He/She ensures that vehicles are monitored (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) and that monitoring tools are regularly updated.
- He/She ensures the vehicles are working properly, that they are properly maintained and any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the use of vehicles and, if necessary, makes any necessary changes to utilization procedures.
- He/She ensures plans and monitoring tools for the management of omissions are put in place and respected and that they are maintained through the use of log books.
- He/She makes sure, above all, that questions of safety relating to the utilization of vehicles (authorized people, exceptional circumstances, safety equipment etc) are appropriately addressed.
- He/She centralizes movement planning on weekly basis for all base movements and follows in-country flight movements.
Ensuring the Circulation of Information, Co-Ordination and Representation on Logistics Issues at Base Level:
- He/She ensures that logistics information is effectively circulated at base level.
- He/She writes or participates in writing internal reports for everything concerning the logistics of the base.
- He/She participates to the financial and administrative management of his/her area of work.
- He/She makes sure that the budgetary allowance is respected in the logistics department and establishes regular cash-flow needs.
- He/She participates to the writing of reports for the donors (lists of equipment, checking functioning costs etc) and ensures the keeping and the archiving of purchase files (help, equipment, location, omissions etc).
- He/She finally participates in the preparation of logistics in view of an audit which is either forthcoming or already underway.
- Externally, he/she represents PUI among authorities at base level for any questions concerning logistics
- Externally, he/she also develops and maintains relationships with partners, especially NGOs for any question relating to logistics.
Supervising and Managing Logistics Teams:
- He/She supervises the whole of the logistics team at base level, directly or otherwise. He/She writes descriptions and carries out or delegates job interviews.
- He/She contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and plans activities.
- He/She participates to the recruitment of the logistics team at base level as well as in any decision to terminate an employment contract.
- He/She ensures and/or supervises continued training of local members of the logistics team who are in the base on the procedures and tools of PUI.
- He/She creates an action plan for the logistics department at base level in accordance with the objectives defined in the annual programming of the mission and by the logistics coordinator of the mission. Focus on 3 priority activities relating to the context of the mission.
- Finalize the setting up of the base from a logistics perspective including infrastructure, resources and various goods and make sure that all logistics procedures and systems at base level are deployed with the support of the logistics coordinator and the field coordinator
- Fine tune the logistics team composition and responsibilities sharing in Monguno base in line with the mission 2018 programming.
- Train local members of the logistics team on the base on PUI procedures and tools.
- Number of people to manage and their position (subject to change according to size of the base):
- Direct management: 1 Fleet & Premises Officer, 1 Procurement Officer (nationals)
- Indirect management: 1 Premises Assistant, 20 Guards and 11 drivers (not PUI employees) – All nationals.
Deadline: 28th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here to view more information (pdf)