The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope of Work
- The Environmental Health Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all EH activities in Borno, She/ He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water, sanitation and hygiene promotion team in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs.
- University degree in Civil/Environmental engineering or related field;
- Minimum 3 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production;
- Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Proven technical writing skills;
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri with frequent visits to site/operation areas.
- The position will work in the Maiduguri Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. The security level 3 – orange
- BenefitsMonthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Borno) establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
- Ensure that all IRC EH projects in your target LGAs are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE, IRC, Nigerian Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs;
- Conduct routine assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs within your target LGAs; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- Follow all technical direction as outlaid in the Adamawa State EH Strategy for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in IRC supported medical facilities, included the requirements for the mobile health units, IDP sites and host communities including but not limited to drilling, restoration of existing infrastructure, drainage, solid waste management, latrine, shower and potwash/laundry construction, hygiene campaigns, vector control and hygiene promotion activities;
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa), assist with technical support and capacity building for WASH staff under your direct management.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work especially Health, WPE, Protection and ERD;
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work for your program locations and allocated budgets;
- When requested by the Sr. EH Manager (Borno), provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records of progress and contract payment schedules for activities in the LGAs.
Human Resources Management:
- Directly manage and technically supervise the EH officers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with all the EH staff
- Overall responsibility for EH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities in your targeted LGAs
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures.
Grant Monitoring & Partner Management:
- Manage and advise contractors implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership with the IRC in all your supported sites.
- Select and implement, in line with the Adamawa EH Strategy, an appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality. Ensure that all monitoring activities and results are shared with your line manager and if requested by your line manager to the M&E Coordinator.
- With support from the Adamawa Sr. EH Manager, assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Actively contribute to proposal writing and strategy development.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the Adamawa Sr. EH Manager to enable and develop IRC programs
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Deadline: 11 February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to “The Recruitment Team, International Rescue Committee” by e-mail to: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Maiduguri.
Note: Vacancy is open to Nigerian National Only.