INGO Forum Program Support Intern Recruitment at Mercy Corps,19th September, 2018
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: INGO Forum Program Support Intern
Reference Number – ABV/INGOF/2018/0001
Position Status: Full-time
Duration: 6 – 11 months
Program / Department Summary
- The main objectives include information sharing/ communication; coordination; policy development and advocacy; engagement with national civil society; and external representation of the INGO community. With eight current staff, the INGO Forum plans to strengthen its services especially in the area of coordination and information sharing to its growing and expanding membership
- The INGO Forum is currently hosted by Mercy Corps offices in Abuja and Maiduguri.
- The Nigeria International NGO Forum (INGO Forum) is a civil society mechanism comprised of 41 members and 4 observers active in the humanitarian and development fields in Nigeria
- The purpose of the Forum is to provide an inclusive and consistent space for INGOs to develop and employ collective strategies and approaches to enhance the overall effectiveness and efficiency of humanitarian and development initiatives throughout Nigeria
- The INGO Forum exists primarily to serve the needs of its members and to act in their interest for the betterment of serving beneficiaries
- The INGO Forum was established by international non-governmental organizations to support work of member agencies in humanitarian response and development. Considering the massive crises in the north-east, the activities of the Forum are primarily focused on humanitarian response.
- The intern will work with INGO Forum’s office in Abuja (located within Mercy Corps) with occasional visits to field locations. The INGO Forum Support Intern will be a motivated learner and a passionate activist for the improvement of the humanitarian/development situation in Nigeria through actively supporting the Forum’s activities, including information sharing and general administration.
- Learn about coordination and the humanitarian sector in general, while developing research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Learn how to compile information/data and produce briefs on humanitarian and development issues, Members’ programs and other issues as required.
- Learn how to mobilize different stakeholders (INGO members, UN Agencies, Donors, government partners, etc), prepare meetings, take minutes and organize trainings and events.
- At all times, updated website and social media platforms.
- (Bi-) Weekly context update – compilation of links to relevant media, reports, assessments, etc. from identified key sources.
- Commitment to international humanitarian standards and principles.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted documents.
- Flexibility in terms of office hours.
- Internship or work experience in an NGO (local or international), in a newspaper or research institution is desirable.
- Advanced Degree in Information Management, Mass Communication, Multimedia, Journalism or any other related field (Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree).
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- IT savvy – knowledgeable in website management and graphics.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills: social media savvy, experience working in communication is an added advantage.
- Willingness to learn and interest in humanitarian practice.
- Support INGO Forum Secretariat in communications, information management and all administrative tasks, as needed.
- Maintain and update INGO Forum Calendar of key dates and events, contact list, correspondence and other documents.
- Assist in organizing all logistics for trainings, workshops, events and other INGO Forum activities including flight bookings and procuring office supplies.
- Support in taking minutes of meetings, workshops and events to ensure timely circulation within the secretariat.
- Regularly update the INGO Forum website and social media platforms and support in compilation of articles and contents for weekly update, newsletter as well as other information products.
- As required, support in raising requests to procurement and finance on information/communication tasks and other Forum activities.
- Liaise and follow up with others including service providers to ensure all deliverables are achieved in a timely and accurate manner.
- Conduct research and information gathering on the humanitarian situation to support the Forum’s objectives.
- Other tasks as required
- Time: This is a full-time internship (40 hours per week on average). The time commitment will be set by the supervisor prior to the start of the internship
- Reporting: The Intern will report to the Program Support Officer and line-managed by the Senior Information Management Officer.
- A fast-paced and often demanding environment responding to stakeholders needs.
- Compensation: intern is entitled to monthly stipends.
- Potential opportunities to partake in workshops & trainings in the humanitarian sector when they arise during the internship period.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letters in one document of not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 25th September, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.