Monitoring and Evaluation Director Job at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS is a global leader in agricultural livelihoods programming, and promotes resilience building in impoverished, disaster-affected, and climate change-impacted areas around the world. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently works in 32 of Nigeria’s 36 states, focusing on agriculture and livelihoods, health, and emergency programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Director
Job Ref Code: MED090519
Reports To: Chief of Party
Department: Programs / Rural Resilience Project
- The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager (MEM) will provide leadership in ensuring high quality monitoring and evaluation of the NE Resilience Project while liaising with the technical programming staff of the project and sub-recipients.
- The MEM reports to the Chief of Party for NE Resilience Project and is accountable for all the monitoring and evaluation, accountability, learning and documentation of technical project related activities, results and program quality.
- The MEM will provide specific monitoring and evaluation leadership to the project to ensure that the program is able to document progress, achieve its stated objectives and report to the donor and relevant entities of the Government of Nigeria (GON) in an accurate and timely manner.
- The MEM takes the lead on project internal evaluation processes such as annual surveys, mid-term and final evaluations. The MEM leads in developing and managing an effective monitoring system with training, mentoring and on-the-job support to project M&E staff and CSO implementing partners.
Specific Job Responsibilities
Program Quality, Systems and Capacity development:
- Facilitate the consortium to achieve high levels of program quality through technical service provision in close collaboration with the project Technical Program Director to re-align and harmonize the project targeting strategies for effective integration and implementation of project activities (periodically review jointly for relevance and effectiveness).
- Support and work closely with the Technical Director, technical leads, and program management staff as well as other relevant technical and grant management staff from the project to:
- Assist consortium partners and especially the project sub-recipients in developing organization-specific NE Resilience Project targeting and implementation strategies.
- Contribute in the development of technical guidelines and standards for performance excellence.
- Train and provide technical assistance in relation to monitoring and evaluation to all sub-recipient project management teams implementing the NE Resilience Project.
Promote innovation across consortium:
- Work with the Technical Program Director and technical leads, other country programs as well the Deputy Country Representative for Agriculture and Livelihoods to identify, design and/or integrate additional “wrap around services.”
- Promote and facilitate innovation through capacity building and motivation of implementing staff.
- Along with the CoP, periodically review progress, integration with other USG-funded partners and achievements of the project to identify bottlenecks and recommend appropriate actions to maintain the program on target.
- Provide technical leadership and specific directions to design and implement a streamlined M&E system that enables staff and volunteers to collect data to capture project performance and results in accordance with FGN and donor standards.
- Oversee the establishment and functioning of the M&E system and solve implementation issues.
- Ensure that the M&E system provides accurate and timely data for project reports to donors and the GON.
Facilitate learning and Knowledge Management:
- In close collaboration with the project Technical Program Director and M&E staff, promote the identification, documentation and exchange of lessons learned and best practices among the project consortium partners and sub-recipients
- Identify other international and local programs with similar interventions to NE Resilience Project and assist the CoP to facilitate linkages and exchange of experience with such programs to enhance adoption of innovative approaches among project consortium partners and sub-recipients
Contracting and Management of External Services:
- Identify gaps and develop strategy and resources to address the gap by contracting appropriate services from technical institutions and individuals
- Establish linkages and develop frameworks for collaboration with local, national and international institutions of research and higher learning
- Develop scopes of work and manage consultants as required
- Support and develop guidelines to accompany the data collection and analysis tools for reports in consultation with the project M&E staff and respective technical and program staff
- Analyze and interpret data from surveys and sub-recipient reports
- Provide leadership support to all donor’s reporting requirements (including quarterly, semi-annual and annual technical reports) in a timely manner in coordination with Technical Program Director
Representation and Advocacy:
- In consultation with the CoP, represent the consortium on relevant technical forums (GON, Donor, UN and others)
- Liaise with the Technical Director and respective technical program staff to strengthen linkages with technical persons from the relevant state and federal ministries to provide support to the project staff and sub-recipients achieving their goals
- Monitor and support sub-recipients’ strategy to maintain and strengthen collaboration with their respective LGAs and States
- Supervise M&E Associates based in state offices
Qualifications and Skills
- MSc or PhD degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Social Science or related technical field with a minimum of 7 years of experience on technical and managerial positions.
- A minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated experience in managing performance monitoring plans, evaluation, collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA) approach (preferably with knowledge of USAID’s CLA approach), and an understanding of agriculture production, market systems and livelihood programming; and
- At least (5) years of practical experience in using monitoring, evaluation and learning activities to inform activity implementation and results.
- Previous field work experience working through partner organizations
- Proven experience managing USAID/USG reporting, budgeting, procurement, and project management procedures and at least three years of management experience with USG funded program in Nigeria and/or Africa
- 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience, excellent partnership and interpersonal skills to work in a team environment with dependable ability to dialogue, network, and work effectively with senior managers of local and international institutions
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English; fluency in Hausa is desirable
- Proven ability to work independently, plan strategically and analyze situations critically
- Experience with implementing ICT4D solutions a plus
- Computer proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
Key Working Relationships
- All NE Resilience Project staff as well as relevant technical advisors from CRS regional and headquarters offices, Deputy Country Representative for Agriculture and Livelihoods, MEAL Coordinator.
- Senior managers of the sub-recipients, technical team of Donor, technical resource persons in relevant GON ministries and other implementing partners
Deadline: COB (5:00pm); 15th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the “CRS Application Form” using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating position being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application (e.g. Monitoring and Evaluation Director MED090519) to: email@example.com
Click here to Download Application Form (Dropbox)