OPEC Vacancy for a Head, Data Services Department, May, 2019
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) – We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Data Services Department
Job Code: 3.1.01
- he Department collects, retrieves and provides statistical data as support to the research and analytical studies in the other RD Departments and other activities of the Secretariat.
- The Department also develops up-to-date IT applications and database systems, and provides specialized relevant documents and references.
- The Department thus has the responsibility to a central, timely provider of reliable up-to-date data, documentation and information pertaining to oil markets in particular and energy markets and related issues in general as well as rendering IT development services.
Objective of Position
- To plan, organize, coordinate, manage and evaluate the work of the Department in accordance with the work programme and programmed budget so as to optimize its support to the Secretariat in achieving its overall objectives. The work covers the provision of statistical data as needed by the Member Countries and by researchers for research purposes, the supporting IT programs and the provision of library services.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work in the Statistics and IT Development Groups and Information Center covering:
- Statistical data verification and documentation of information pertaining to oil markets;
- Review and clearance of the research results and reports produced by the Department;
- Advancement of the technical equipment on computer and information technology;
- Coordination of the information exchange project between the Secretariat and the Member Countries, Member Countries’ institutions and oil companies via internet/intranet; as well as continuous re-designing and security of the OPEC Web page;
- Development of IT applications and database systems, database administration and software installation;
- Provision of library services in accordance with the Medium-Term Programme and Work Programme and Budget of the Research Division.
- Maintains and/or strengthens the cooperation with external institutions such as APERC, Eurostat, IEA, OLADE and the UN Statistics Division, to improve the quality of oil data in the Secretariat. To this end maintains the DSD database on the Joint Oil Data Exercise.
- Ensures full response to requests by the Conference, BOG, ECB and standing committees for data and information relevant to the work of the Department.
- Evaluates the performance of the staff of the Department, and recommends to the Director of Research Division, staff development, salary increase, promotion and separations as appropriate.
- Ensures that the staff of the Department receives the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and continuously improve their performance.
- Prepares the annual budget for the Department.
- Arranges presentations at relevant OPEC meetings and international forums representing the Secretariat as required.
- Develops and maintains networks with external experts and institutions in fields relating to the work of the Department.
- Keeps the Director of Research Division fully informed on all aspects of the work of the Department, and draws his/her attention to important analyses performed by it.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned to him/her by the Director of Research Division.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- Advanced University degree in fields related to Statistics, Computer Applications, or Informatics.
- PhD in either field preferred.
- Advanced degree: 12 years in field of Statistics and/or Information Management and Analysis in the energy and oil sector as well as in System Development and use of computers in Statistical Analysis with a minimum of 4 years in a managerial position, preferably at large national, regional, or international institutions.
- PhD: 10 years.
- Oil related statistical data
- Software Application Development
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Project Management
- Professional Management & Leadership
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Negotiation skills
- Initiative and integrity
- Decision making skills
- Strategic orientation
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade B reporting to the Director of Research Division. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to fill in a résumé and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor (PDF) (See Nigeria address below) for OPEC or Click Here (Ms Word) to download Application Form. In order for applications to be considered, the application form and resume must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than the closing date stated above.
NIGERIA COUNTRY GOVERNOR
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dr. Omar Farouk Ibrahim, MCIPR,
Group General Manager, International Energy Relations (GGM IER),
Governor for OPEC,
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation – NNPC,
Block D 10th Floor, Room 04, NNPC Towers
Click Here to Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Note: Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years
Application Deadline 30th June, 2019.