WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer
Pay band: Grade D
Contract Type: 1 year consultancy contract
Reports to: Communications & Media Manager
Travel:10 % ( local and international)
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2016-21 Country Programme Strategy, which sets a 5-year building block towards delivering a more influencing-led programme over a 15-year horizon. This new country strategy, rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The recalibration of WaterAid Nigeria’s structure and programming architecture has placed the state as the focus of our work to maximize impact.
- This position will have a critical responsibility for promoting and strengthening WaterAid Nigeria’s profile through the media and other opportunities.
- The role will improve overall CP communication quality through work with authors to edit and shape draft copy into concise, engaging and highly effective material for a range of audiences.
- The role will be the in-house authority on our brand and communications skills in general.
Communications & Media:
- Engage with regular and social media to actively promote WANG’s image and visibility
- Edit and produce WaterAid content in a variety of formats including print and digital. Provide on demand support to colleagues with layout of simple documents and publications as may be required.
- Source articles and coordinate, edit and layout the CP regular ‘Mairuwa publication’; collating and reviewing content from staff and partners and from all our work for sharing with wider audiences.
- Provide an editorial service to other WaterAid departments, overseeing copy editing, design and print.
- Develop and facilitate content to Contribute to build communications skills and capacity in other teams across the CP.
- Help to coordinate communications activity and content across the CP; developing Terms of References for engagement of outsourced communications consultants and managing them to deliver quality work in line with consultancy requirements.
- Directly responsible for maintaining WaterAid’s case study and photo library; work with information technology colleagues to evolve improved approaches for managing photo and digital communications materials.
- Act as in –house brand specialist ensuring all WaterAid branding requirements are complied with by all staff
- Work with colleagues throughout the organisation to plan, write, and support media work around WaterAid Nigeria’s service delivery and advocacy work, campaigns, fundraising initiatives, and key organisational moments
- Work with communication & media colleagues globally to develop and execute work including the provision of communication and media materials
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, national and international media and widen interest in WaterAid’s work
- Write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house use or use by third parties on behalf of WaterAid
- Work with individuals and departments throughout the organisation to design and deliver internal communication campaigns to engage staff in external initiatives and key organisational moments by coming up with creative concepts and developing strategies, identifying relevant tools and channels, executing the campaign, and promoting it
- Monitor and evaluate communications and media coverage and make recommendations on future activity
- Maintain and update accounts across all major social media platforms day to day (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest Instagram), to enhance brand awareness and develop deeper engagement with existing and potential Supporters
- Flag any inaccurate or potentially damaging comments on social media for the Communication & Campaign Manger’s attention and contribute to measures to counter impact of such inaccurate or potentially damaging content
- Innovate ideas and approaches for delivering social media and digital content for promoting WANG’s programmes, influencing & campaigns and fundraising focus.
- Undertake editorial/media production activities as directed by the Manager, Communications & Media
- Manage WANG websites and other online platforms Ensure WaterAid in Nigeria’s website is easily accessible and contains up-to-date and relevant information about its contributions and services to the sector and beneficiaries
- Degree in relevant discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree or higher in communications
- Three to four years’ experience working in a communications and media role, including the production of a variety of content and materials, for different media
- Basic knowledge and understanding of development issues, and WASH issues in particular
- Excellent written and editorial skills, with the ability to write tailored, effective content for specific audiences
- Accuracy and keen attention to detail, in order to produce high quality communications
- Understanding of how media & social media can be used as an influencing tool – whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
- Experience of liaising with journalists
- Knowledge and experience of using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, or other design software used to produce and layout publications and other communication materials
- Proven ability to think creatively and so generate a wide range of communications materials & media coverage
- Knowledge of a range of measuring and analytics tools, and the ability to apply metrics to media & social media activity
- Ability to forge effective collaborative working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation
- Excellent organisation and time management skills. Able to prioritise workload and work under pressure
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- A communications or media related degree
- Previous experience of working for an NGO
- Experience of working in a communications and/or media role for an international organization.
- Experience of helping to influence decision makers through media work
- An interest in international development.
- Experience of managing content on an intranet.
Deadline: 26th June, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria
- Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.