Accountant Jobs at the Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant II
Job ID: 13-10772
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A512 – Nigeria CaTSS
Reports To: Senior Accountant
- The Accountant is responsible for assisting the Senior Accountant/Finance and Admin Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately the U.S. Government or other donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
- The Accountant is responsible for ensuring that any money expended in the field is done in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH policy, and any cost principles imposed by the donor agency.
- The Accountant is aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- and the donor.
- Other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting
- Knowledge of US Government funded programs, regulations and requirements
- Experience or understanding of key aspects of accounting. Experience with U.S. government projects helpful, but not mandatory
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets
- Experience in the use of accounting software (QuickBooks preferred)
- Understanding of the basic tenets of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliation
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Verbal and written language skills in English required including speaking, writing, understanding, and reading and the ability to conduct business in English
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with a service-oriented outlook
- Advanced reporting skills
- Computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Excel spreadsheets, word processing, and electronic mail along with data entry experience)
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the field
- Prepare and control advances.
- Assure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the MSH account
- Prepare deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks
- Maintain accounting files
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with MSH policies and procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Systems are in place to: Ensure that appropriate staff members are aware of and understand laws, contract/award and donor requirements, and MSH policies and procedures
- Monitor and ensure compliance.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor
- Preparation and filing of forms for payments of taxes and social security
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize MSH’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize MSH’s cash exposure.
- The responsibilities and duties are indicative only. The responsibilities and duties are subject to change to meet the needs of the project, the organization
Deadline: 13th August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online