We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Security Associate – G6
Requisition #: 106864
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract type: Fixed Term
- Job holders report to the Security Officer, according established reporting lines
- Job holders at this level demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis
- Job holders manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of security support staff. These jobs may require to report for duty on short notice.
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Maiduguri Head of Security, the Local Security Associate will perform tasks related to the implementation and assessment of security measures and maintenance of equipment, with a view towards providing updates and recommendations to facilitate informed decision-making and secure WFP staff, facilities and operations.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Monitor security threats, risks and emerging security trends that could adversely impact WFP staff and operations, in order to ensure information is accurately collated and sent to WFP Management through the designated reporting lines, in order to support the Risk management process and decision making.
- Provide recommendations to the Head of Security in Maiduguri about security risk management matters and safety issues in compliance with the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
- Support the implementation of risk management mitigation measures, including Security Risk management measures (SRMMs) to ensure compliance.
- Support the maintenance and management of security equipment and make recommendations to strengthen technology capacity in line with business requirements.
- Monitor and ensure that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors, in order to maintain a safe and secure operational environment.
- Recommend and/or maintain security recommendations aimed at improving emergency and contingency plans.
- Monitor and report security related information (e.g. security incidents and events, security support to daily activities, etc.) and use corporate or local information management tools to produce a range of analyses to ensure that Senior management is timely and readily informed.
- Liaise and co-ordinate with local security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff and other actors, to facilitate access for safe programme delivery to identify mitigation measures and preventive actions against potential risks that could have an impact on WFP staff and assets.
- Facilitate WFP field activities by planning and coordinating with team members. Perform security assessments within the area of operation to ensure safe and effective programme delivery.
- Contribute with basic analysis while preparing after field mission reports and present ad-hoc recommendations to mitigate security risks identified during field missions.
- Assist in delivering security training/security briefings to staff and maintain security training tracking sheets to ensure that all staff meet security standard requirements to operate safely in the field.
- Provide on-the-job training to security personnel e.g. Security Guards to ensure that their performance will meet UNSMS standard and WFP security needs.
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School Education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Specialised knowledge of the application of practical methods, techniques, procedures and systems used in security, typically gained through technical training and work experience.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of security logistics, security administration, risk assessment and co-ordination with local authorities and local law enforcement agencies.
- Training and experience in fire and related intervention/evacuation procedures. Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
- Attention to detail and constant vigilance in order to promptly detect any breach in security measures.
- Ability to interpret information, use judgement and inform supervisors of any incidents which might impact the UNWFP staff and operations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to maintain frequent correspondence with both, internal staff and external authorities with regards to security advisories and security incidents.
- Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and in at least one of the following languages: Kanuri, Hausa or Shuwa.
- Strategic approach to security risk management: Demonstrates understanding of strategic approaches to security to identify potential threats. Contributes to the creation and implementation of WFPs mitigation measures.
- Operational knowledge of security risk management: Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.
- Security resource management: Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.
- Analysis and solution development: Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.
- Planning compliance and emergency management: Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Availability and capability to be deployed for long periods in remote locations under stressful and hard conditions e.g. Bama, Monguno, Ngala, Gwoza, Banki, Dikwa, among others.
Desired Experiences for Entry Into the Role
- Has gained sound knowledge of security operations technical processes
- A minimum of 5 years experience is required in Security related activities or operations e.g. Military, Police, Law Enforcement Agencies, Private Security Companies.
- Has provided technical guidance and training to staff members within area of expertise.
- Has supported research and collation of data which feeds into reports that inform security operations activities.
- Knowledge of UN rules and regulations is desirable.
Deadline: 13th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job
- Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills
- Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply