Current Vacancies at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), 29th October, 2019
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Renewable Energy Division – PERN1
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Position N°: 50092428
- The Vice-Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
- The PEVP Complex will oversee strategy and policy development in the energy systems space; build alignment across stakeholders and represent the Bank with external stakeholders; originate projects, develop new, innovative financing instruments; and ensure delivery of the “Light Up and Power Africa” agenda.
- The Complex will originate and execute both public and private sector transactions in partnership with our regional offices and other Departments of the Complex.
The Hiring Department
- Within the PEVP Complex, there is a Directorate in charge of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PERN). The Directorate has the broad objective of promoting the development of renewable energy across Africa, energy efficiency and clean cooking solutions.
- The Renewable Energy Division (PERN1) is one of the three divisions in PERN and will be led by a Manager.
- The Manager will report directly to the Director in charge of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PERN).
- He/She will lead and coordinate Bank’s renewable energy projects and programs with substantial part of his/her time (70%) dedicated to the Desert to Power (DtP) program leading and coordinating the DtP Task Force. On Desert to Power, the Manager will also report to the Desert to Power Steering Committee that will be set-up and will include internal and external stakeholders and a non-executive Chairperson.
- Bank’s support to RMCs to scale-up renewable energy investment includes: i) upstream support to member countries in creating enabling environment through technical assistance for policy, legal and regulatory framework including capacity building for IPP procurement ,ii) funding feasibility studies and environmental &social impact assessments; iii) mobilization of climate finance to enhance affordability; and iv) funding of RE programs and projects through its public and private windows.
- The DtP initiative aims to accelerate economic development in the Sahel region through the deployment of solar technologies at scale. Specifically, DtP proposes to deliver electricity to 160 million people on-grid and 90 million off-grid and to add solar energy generation capacity of up to 10 GW through a combination of public and private interventions.
- The initiative covers 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Sudan).
- The initial rollout will focus on the G5 Sahel countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger). It aims to develop and implement electrification program based on solar power generation including grid based, mini-grid and off-grid access scale up for households, social and economic infrastructure including energy for productive uses.
- The program will support ambition of the governments in the region to fight poverty, create employment for the youth, migration and desertification. It is the responsibility of the Manger to lead and coordinate the Taskforce that will deliver these objectives for the Bank and for the Bank’s Member Countries in the Sahel Region.
- The Manger has the overall responsibility for the Bank’s renewable energy support to RMCs and for leading operations with a particular focus on decentralized energy solutions.
- The manager will also lead the Desert to Power Taskforce to support the Sahel counties to increase energy access and solar generation capacity through a combination of public and private sector operations.
- He/She will also be responsible for coordination of efforts with other initiatives and development partners operating within the region
Duties and Responsibilities
The Manager, of Renewable Energy Division (PERN1) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Task 1: Lead / coordinate the Bank’s renewable energy programs and projects, comprising:
- Lead Bank’s support to member countries in creating enabling environment for renewable energy investment through upstream support including design of policy, legal and regulatory framework and institutional capacity building;
- Lead design and implementation of renewable energy programs and projects through provision of blended finance, mobilizing funding from climate finance and other concessional funding resources.
- Supervise the Bank’s DESCO program to scale up access though off-grid stand-alone systems for households, social services and productive uses.
- Lead and coordinate scaling-up of mini-grid programs and projects to increase rural access through mobilization of grants and concessional funding to ensure affordability for rural households and businesses.
Task 2: Lead / coordinate the implementation of the Desert to Power initiative, comprising:
- Guide the process of resource assessment and demand projections;
- Develop detailed implementation plans for the five priority areas (on-grid solar generation capacity, transmission reinforcement and regional interconnections, deployment of decentralized energy solutions, utility reform and creation of a favourable enabling environment) of the Desert to Power initiative;
- Coordinate review and formal approval of the implementation plans by member countries;
- Coordinate roadshows to introduce the program to wider market players and financiers;
- Provide required technical support to member countries in the process of project implementation;
- Facilitate required coordination between concerned countries in the implementation of multinational projects including PPA negotiations
- Prepare regular updates on the implementation of the initiative for the Sahel G5 Heads of State, sector ministries, the Steering Committee and senior management of the African Development Bank and other stakeholders;
- Raise the profile of the Desert to Power through appropriate communication in consultation with the Bank’s communication team;
- Prepare the annual report on Desert to Power and its achievements.
Task 3: Mobilization of resources for the implementation of the Desert to Power initiative, comprising:
- Secure the required financial support for project preparation activities and the operation of the Taskforce;
- Forge partnerships with other development partners and knowledge partners;
- Prepare the budget for the operations and maintain the record of expenses;
- Spearhead TA resource mobilization efforts for project preparation and advisory services;
- Work with regional teams and partners on the financing of ready projects.
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Engineering, Finance, Energy studies or related subjects;
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of professional work in areas related to energy, some of which in Africa; five (5) years of which should have been at managerial role and/or in supervising a team and coordinating work programs or projects;
- Deep exposure and understanding of the international agenda and geopolitics of renewable energy, climate change and green growth;
- Wide networks and experience with international institutions and agencies working on renewable energy and climate change in Africa and globally;
- Experience in working with donors on the implementation of large programmes notably in the power sector;
- Candidates with exposure to utility scale renewable energy project development and medium/small scale RE including off-grid and mini-grid solutions will be prioritized;
- Longstanding experience in climate finance will be an advantage;
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors to delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society);
- Proven ability to build multi-organization partnerships to manage complex objectives;
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide leadership to different team members;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external;
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies such as multi-national
- Boards of Executive Directors and Governors and other senior government officials.
- Deep knowledge of the development of renewable energy across developing countries with experience of completing integrated assessments of technical and economic potential of renewable energy;
- Experience in the Sahel countries will be an asset;
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills aligned with the ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations;
- Experience in forging and managing relationships with a variety of stakeholders – local organizations, governments and financing institutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Office Manager, PCSC
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Position N°: 50066180
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG)
The Hiring Department
- The Office of the President assists the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group. The Office of the President monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs including administrative issues relating to Directors reporting to the Office of the President; prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank, in line with the President’s instructions, at international conferences and meetings and on working missions to member countries; prepares and organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management, and facilitates follow-up on the decisions of these meetings; reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank; ensures the effective and timely implementation of Board and Management decisions; provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and prepares, monitors and submits summaries of audit reports to the President and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports
- The Office of the President is responsible for providing support & assisting the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group.
The Office of the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet assists the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group. Main Activities include:
- Monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs, including administrative issues relating to Directors reporting to the President;
- Prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank, in line with the President’s instructions, at international conferences and meetings and on working missions to member countries;
- Prepares and organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management, and facilitates follow-up on the decisions of these meetings;
- Reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank;
- Ensures the effective and timely implementation of Board and Management decisions;
- Provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and
- Prepares, monitors and submits summaries of audit reports to the President and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports by concerned Departments/Units.
- The Manager is a senior staff member in the Office of the President, who provides both administrative and managerial support.
- The incumbent acts as a principal aide in the Office of the President and to the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet on matters pertaining to management and administration of the President’s office, policy and operations, handling of high level Government decision makers, and other external stakeholders, management of junior staff in the President’s office, and manages special projects, as assigned by the President or Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet, and the oversight of the President, the Manager will:
- Support the Director of Cabinet & Chief of Staff in managing the overall work programme of President’s Office including planning, coordination and communication of the President’s agenda
- Assists in the preparation, accomplishment and ensuring follow up actions from President’s missions
- Manages all correspondence both electronic and mail and briefings pertaining to the Office of the President
- Reviews briefs, memoranda and other reports submitted for consideration by the President to ensure quality, accuracy and consistency with Bank’s policies and procedures
- Represents the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet and on occasion the President and undertakes any special assignments
- Coordinates with the relevant Vice Presidency Complexes on critical follow up actions
- Assists the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet in supervision and evaluation of all junior staffers working in the President’s office to enable the provision of high quality and proficient services
- Coordinates special projects on behalf of the President
- Hold at least a in Business Administration, Financial management, International Development, Public Administration, or any other discipline that is relevant to the operations of the Bank; in-depth knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries.
- Experience in managing a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team within large and complex institutional settings with at least 8 years of relevant experience.
- Private Sector is advantageous
- Strong knowledge and experience of AFDB Group operations and projects
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgements, with excellent technical and analytical skills and due consideration of inherent corporate wide risks.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects. You are highly organized, efficient and have a reputation for follow-through and closing to deliver quality results
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership and drive results and execution.
- Ability to manage budgets
- Proven ability to communicate both orally and in writing with high level individuals/stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and lead teams
- High degree of professionalism, discretion, tact, integrity and maturity and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients is critical.
- Ability to collaborate with highly diverse Senior Management teams and responsive to needs of multiple stakeholders, with excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to communicate excellently and effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
- Energised by working in a high pressure fast-paced environment where change is the norm and quick quality action and delivery the expectation – you are results and solution orientated with a ‘can do’ attitude
- You are motivated and excited by this leadership opportunity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Deadline: 12th November, 2019.