RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program. E-WASH will provide technical assistance to and will work in collaboration with state governments to improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of six (6) state water boards (SWBs) in Nigeria. The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Environmental Specialist Consultant
Duration: 12 days
The Local Environmental Specialists required for this assessment will travel to conduct assessments, upon demand, in the six states (listed above) where E-WASH works. Specifically, the Consultant will do the following:
- The Environmental Specialist will work with the E-WASH technical and operations team to understand planned activities as contained in the E-WASH Year 2 Work Plan and the Utility Support Fund (USF) milestone tables.
- He/she will aggregate the implications in accurate cost delivering in a professional format.
- He/she will ensure project compliance with local, national, and agency policies, regulations, as well as with selected mitigation practices.
- He/she will manage and/or conduct inspections for impacts such as land/water contamination, waste management, air quality, land disturbance.
- The Consultant will assess activities and activity locations to identify potential environmental impacts and select measures to avoid, minimize, and/or compensate for impacts.
- He/she will communicate potential environmental impacts and appropriate mitigation practices to the E-WASH team and local partners (e.g. vendors, contractors).
- He/she will produce environmental review and screening reports, contribute to quarterly reports and provide status updates to E-WASH team.
Objectives of the Assignment:
- The overall objective of the assignment is to have an environmental assessment done prior to investing Utility Support Fund for improving billing and collections, key repairs, metering, customer enumeration, developing and implementing communications strategies on the SWBs
- The assessment is aimed at ensuring that the USF activities will be in line with Nigeria & USA Environmental standards such that each procurement, installation, act of maintenance, construction and any other activities that will be done through the USF will adhere to environmental standards.
- Initial Environmental Examination Report
- Where required, a comprehensive Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Report using USAID guidelines.
- progress reports
- Site Pictures.
Qualifications and Experience
- The Consultant should have at least Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science/Engineering/Management or a related field.
- Knowledge of local national environmental policies and regulations and USAID environmental policies especially regarding EMMPs.
- Previous work on WASH sector reforms in Nigeria is added advantage.
- At least 8 years’ experience in relation to the field mentioned above or one related to it.
- Knowledge of environmental best practices, especially in civil works, water supply and water resources.
- Able to produce concise reports with necessary documentation, including picture taking.
- WASH experience is desirable.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills
- We offer a highly competitive remuneration.
Deadline: 29th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application Letter and CV as One Single MS WORD document to: STTA@ewash.rti.org using the Job Title and Location as subject of the email.
- On the subject line of your e-mail, you should only put the e-mail subject as indicated above (no other text should be on this subject line)
- Interested Consultants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for negotiations.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Leave a Reply