The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Consultant
- The provision of safe and secured working environment for staff of ECOWAS is of paramount concern
- In the face of growing security needs and challenges, the ECOWAS Commission is in the process of upgrading its safety and security environments and therefore needs a Consultant to provide expert safety and security guidance, support as well as related services to the ECOWAS Commission (and as needed, other ECOWAS Institutions) in establishing a highly robust and further improved safety and security environments.
- The consultancy is for a period of 12 months and the selected Consultant will be based in Abuja, Nigeria, at the ECOWAS Commission Headquarters.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall collaborate with the Security Unit and other relevant stakeholders at the Commission to perform the following for the ECOWAS Commission and, where applicable, for other ECOWAS Institutions:
- Conduct comprehensive assessments / studies on security infrastructure and operations as well as workplace safety.
- Develop and guide the adoption of appropriate safety and security policies and standards, as well as standard operating procedures (SOPs), tools and templates for the effective implementation of developed policies and standards.
- Draft and guide the approval as well as the implementation of a comprehensive proposal for the harmonization of safety and security for ECOWAS as a whole.
- Contribute to the overall management of safety and security, including but not limited to the production of plans and budgets; participation in security threat assessment and the production of regular security advisories; as well as the organization of regular meetings on safety and security.
- Guide the implementation of the “Security Management” project and ensure that its objectives are fully attained.
- Draft proposals for overall safety and security improvements
- Provide expert guidance, advice and support in terms of overall safety and security
- Provide guidance and lead efforts to create a safe work environment, as well as develop and implement safety training and awareness activities for all staff
- Design, develop and implement capacity building activities (including training, seminars, lectures) for both security staff and the general staff population.
- Perform all other duties on safety and security as may be required.
The qualifications of the Consultant should include, among others:
- Must possess a Master’s Degree or higher in Police Science, Criminology or Criminal Justice, Military Science, Security Management or closely related area of studies
- Must have at least 15 years of practical experience in Policing or security in the public sector or with International Organization
- Of the 15 years mentioned above, at least 5 years must have been at managerial level(s)
- Must have successfully completed formal training as a Police or Military Officer
- Must have served as an active duty Police Officer or Military personnel for at least 4 years.
- Must be trained and licensed to operate fire arm.
- Must have practical experience in deploying and managing modern security systems and technology
- Must demonstrate strong abilities to conduct investigations, security analysis and evaluations and solve intricate security problems
- Must be an effective communicator (both verbal and written).
- Must be proficient in producing and presenting security reports and briefings using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint Presentations,
- Must speak and write fluent English and prove that she/he can successfully work in an environment where French and Portuguese are spoken
Deadline: 25th November, 2019 by 11.00 a.m. (GMT+1), Nigerian Time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their “Expressions of Interest (EOIs)” which must be delivered in sealed envelopes (1 signed Original and 3 Copies) in English, French or Portuguese and clearly marked “Recruitment of an Individual Security Consultant”, and in person or by registered mail to:
Directorate of General Administration,
First (1st) Floor of the ECOWAS Commission Headquarters,
Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P.M.B. 401, Abuja,
- The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible Consultants (Individual) to indicate their interests in providing these services. The interested Consultants must provide all information supporting their qualification to perform the services (Kindly attach detailed Curriculum Vitae that highlights the following: Curriculum and Certificates; Past Experiences of similar jobs over the past ten (10) years; Computer knowledge; knowledge of the subject matter; knowledge of the area; language and any other information useful for the accomplishment of this assignment).
- Please note that if individual Consultants are proposed by firms, only the experience and qualifications of the individuals shall be used in the selection process, their corporate experience shall not be taken into account, and the contract, if given, will be signed with the proposed individual.
- The selection will be done on the basis of a comparison of Curricula Vitae and interviews and the selected Consultant will be invited for negotiation prior to the conclusion and signing of the Contract Agreement. (Selection method: Individual Consultant)
- The selected Consultant will be expected to submit all required reports in English or French or Portuguese.
- Interested consulting firms can obtain further information at the address above during working days (Monday to Friday) and hours of the ECOWAS Commission from 9.00 am GMT+1 to 5.00 pm GMT+1 or by e-mail to the following addresses: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
- The attention of interested Consultants is particularly drawn to Article 117 of the ECOWAS Procurement Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), providing information on corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per “Article 118 of the ECOWAS Procurement Code.
- The ECOWAS Tender Box is located in the address above
- Electronic submissions are not accepted and will not be evaluated.