FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Officer, Health Informatics
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Associate Director, Monitoring & Evaluation
- The Senior Technical Officer, Health Informatics under the supervision of the Associate Director Monitoring and Evaluation will assist the development, implementation, supervision and data use of all FHI’s electronic information systems at facility, zonal and country office levels.
- S/he will ensure that all electronic information systems meet intended reporting and data output requirements for donors and GoN.
- S/he will provide technical assistance for the development and implementation of a systematic data analysis process of data outputs from the electronic information systems, carrying out advanced statistical analysis and preparing scientific papers for publication in relevant peer reviewed journals.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MB.BS / MD / PHD or similar degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Information Management or Medicine (strong background in epidemiology, biostatistics or M & E) with 3 to 5 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation.
- MPH/MA/MS or similar degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Information Management (strong background in epidemiology, biostatistics or M & E) or similar degree with 5 to 7 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation.
- Experience working at the national level on health programs with knowledge and experience with data collection and analysis.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria and other health programming in developing countries.
- In-depth understanding of FHI’s research and pubic health programs and link activities/opportunities in Nigeria to ongoing research and public health evaluation activities in FHI.
- Sound knowledge of M & E, research and surveillance issues
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support for the design and content development for electronic information systems (LAMIS, NOMIS, KidMAP, Referral Database, PDA applications and any other FHI software or database tools) used for M & E.
- This function will include assisting the software programming team in developing actual logic statements for the coding of M & E indicators and software business rules where necessary and checking that all software development is done according to already established standards and procedures.
- Ensure that the software and database tools developed meet the intended reporting and data output requirements for both internal use and donors/GoN.
- Provide technical assistance for the development and implementation of a systematic data analysis process of data outputs from the electronic information systems.
- Enhance FHI’s Research and Public Health Evaluation activities in Nigeria, with an emphasis on generating new knowledge using existing program data captured in the electronic information systems by conducting advanced data analysis to further research, surveillance and public health evaluation goals and objectives.
- Coordinate and supervise the deployment of the electronic information systems to new sites.
- Participate in the development and/or adaptation, monitoring of use and modification of M&E tools, Standard Operating Procedures, and Data flow processes and procedures.
- Conduct assessments of health informatics environments, synthesize pertinent information, identify implications for planning and development, and provide recommendations to FHI management.
- Oversee and perform routine monitoring visit to project sites operating electronic information systems.
- On a monthly basis, analyze site specific and state-level data and provide reports to national office and local partners.
- Document lessons learned and best practices in monitoring and evaluation, according to donor guidelines.
- Represent FHI and make presentations at professional meetings and conferences related to Monitoring and Evaluation research.
- Remain informed of current issues regarding monitoring and evaluation of programs in the HIV/AIDS/STI fields by review of current literature; is alert to any implication of such research for project and program activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.