The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate
Ref. No: IITA-HR-NRS2020-014
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Slot: 6 Openings
- Update the Food, Recipes, and Ingredients List (FRIL) with recently collected standard recipes data from 6 geopolitical zones;
- Support the development of a database on portion size conversion factors that will translate the estimated quantity of foods/beverages/mixed dishes consumed to their gram weight equivalent;
- Contribute to the development of Survey tools and Standard Operating Procedures for the Interactive 24-hour dietary recall Assist in the conduct of the pilot study and debriefing meeting during the National Food Consumption and Micronutrient Survey;
- Participate in social mobilization and sensitization of communities for the conduct of the National Food Consumption and Micronutrient Survey;
- Populate the Food Composition Table, Recipes, Portion conversion factors and Tags worksheets of the INDDEX24 Template with relevant data;
- Contribute to activities for the development of detailed pre-survey field protocols (i.e. standard operating procedures for the development of standard recipes, collection of conversion factors and pre-testing of portion size estimation methods;
- Participate in pre-survey training workshops for field workers (i.e., training field workers to facilitate group discussions, and on methods for the collection of standard recipes, market surveys and pre-testing PSEM);
- Prepare report on training workshops, meetings and other related NFCMS activities
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- MSc in Nutrition, Food Science / Technology, Public Health or related discipline with a minimum of five (5) years’ related experience and ten (10) years’ working experience for BSc holders.
The ideal candidate must:
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across activities while utilizing strong communications and interpersonal skills, with evidence of the ability to productively interact with a wide range of stakeholders
- Show excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills (proficiency in English)
- Display good knowledge of Nigerian foods desirable
- Have visual creativity, including design of slides and diagrams and excellent presentation skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Deadline: 26th May, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).