Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, formerly Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike, was established as a specialized University by the Federal Government of Nigeria via Act No 48 of 2nd November 1992. It began formal activities in May 1993 with the appointment of the first Governing Council and Vice- Chancellor.
The Institution is located in the well-known Agricultural Training and Research town of Umudike, about 9 kilometres from Umuahia town, the capital of Abia State. The major link road to the University is the Umuahia-Ikot Ekpene Federal Road, a direct route to the State Capitals of Abia, Akwa-lbom and Cross River States. Being close to Umuahia, the University is linked through a major North-South Express Road to most parts of the country.
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike, is envisioned to be a University par excellence and hopes to help the people of Nigeria and beyond through the provision of practical knowledge for agricultural transformation in order to achieve sustainable food production.
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State Nigeria, will become vacant from 1st March 2021. In accordance with the Law establishing the University, the Governing Council of the Institution wishes to commence the process of filling the vacancy. Interested applicants are therefore requested to submit applications for the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Location: Umuahia, Abia
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven successful manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor in any of the disciplines offered in the University with a minimum of ten (10) years experience on that level and demonstrable ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for such a well-established Institution;
- Strengthen the bridges between staff, students, and other stakeholders;
- Be a person with a clear vision for the development of the University;
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health;
- Be a person of proven integrity;
- Be not more than 64 years old as at the date of possible assumption of duty on 1st March, 2021.
- Command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his/her track records; evidenced by publications in high impact journals;
- Attract the much-needed funds into the University.
Deadline: 16th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications each made in 30 copies with detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed, dated, and photocopies of necessary documents attached. The Curriculum Vitae should, among other information include the following:
- Full Name (Surname first)
- Phone Nos
- E-mail Address
- Position applied for
- Place & Date of Birth
- Nationality, State of Origin & Local Government Area;
- Present Postal Address
- Marital Status
- Educational Institutions attended with Dates;
- Academic Qualifications obtained with institutions and Dates
- Professional Qualifications obtained with Institutions and Dates
- Working Experience including full details of former and present post(s) with dates
- List of Publications where applicable
- Honors/Distinctions with dates
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Names and address of three Referees
- Candidates should request the three Referees to forward their reference letters under separate covers and addressed to the “Registrar, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, P.M.B 7276 Umuahia, Abia State”.
- The Referees should also be requested to indicate the candidate’s name, position applied for on the left hand corner of the mailing envelope and must reach the “Registrar” before the day of the Interview.
Each application must be accompanied by a copy of statement of applicants vision for the University.
In the case of candidates identified by the Council Search Team, the application shall conform with the requirements above, but in addition, a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate shall be presented along with the applications.
All applications should be forwarded in a sealed envelope (s) marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor at the top left-hand corner” by courier service to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike,
P.M.B 7267, Umuahia,
Abia State, Nigeria.