Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Logistics Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119,913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response. In parallel, PUI is continuously supporting the coordination mechanisms in North East Nigeria humanitarian crisis. Finally, PUI is also running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors thanks to a co-funding between 20 partners, and a funding from the logistics sector (WFP). Thanks to the Maiduguri Inter Agency Logistic Platform, 91 projects have been supported in 2018, for a total of 7 000 000 of indirect beneficiaries. PUI is looking for a Deputy Human Resources (HR) Manager for its Maiduguri Base field office.
Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Manager, the Deputy Logistics Manager will ensure the smooth functioning of logistics at Maiduguri base level. He/She will contribute in ensuring that the resources which are necessary for carrying out the programs are available. The Deputy Logistics Manager (DLM) position’s major objectives are to properly achieve the following global tasks:
- Supplies: He/She supports the logitics manager in coordinating the procurment of supplies and deliveries for projects at base level with close collaboration with the supply team at coordination. He/She guarantees that PUI’s procedures and logistical tools are in place and are respected at the base level.
- Fixed equipment: He/She is responsible of the management of computer equipment, tele/radiocommunication equipment and for the base’s energy supply.
- Fleet: He/She is responsible of the management of the fleet (availability, safety, maintenance etc), for the smooth functioning of the base and the realization of activities in accordance with the available budget.
- He/She supports the Logistics Manager for all aspects of logistics reporting by drafting reports, and ensuring the accuray of logitics data.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Ensuring The Security of Goods and People:
- He/She ensures that the material and other resources at base level are sufficiently adapted to the safety management approach defined for the base.
- He/She communicates, on a regular basis, with the guards and the drivers concerning accidents, risks and behavior to be embraced (regular meetings and training if necessary).
Managing the Supply Chain of the Base
- Under direct supervision of the logistics manager, He/She guarantees that purchase procedures are respected at base level.
- He/She works in close collaboration with the person requesting the purchase, with strong technical specificity, and carries out the appropriate conformity tests.
- He/She ensures that contracts signed are adequate in terms of effectiveness and protection of the PUI procedures.
- He/She centralizes and optimizes the grouping of purchase requests before sending it to the supply department.
- He/She supervises the identification and referencing of suppliers and has detailed invoices for recurrent purchases at his/her disposal.
- He/She consolidates/updates the base price catalogue.
- He/She ensures that purchase files are correctly archived at base level.
- He/She chooses the mode of transport and the packaging of the merchandise in collaboration with the logistics manager.
- He/She plans and supervises the reception of materials from the coordination or other supply sites.
- He/She guarantees the management and monitoring of the base stock, according to the PUI’s procedures and tools. He/She ensures that these are known to and understood by everyone and are applied on the base.
- He/She ensures that stocking sites are appropriate to the base needs and that merchandise is stocked appropriately in terms of location, layout and salubriousness.
- He/She organizes fluxes in merchandise, makes sure that the goods received are of a certain quality and carries out physical checks of stocked merchandise. He/She is attentive to the use-by-date of products, if need be.
- He/She ensures the movement/transfer of documents is properly referenced. He/She checks stock reports on a monthly basis.
Managing The Base Assets: Computer And Telecommunication Equipment and Energy:
- He/She will support the Logitics Manager in defining the base technical needs and make sure that their funding is possible, especially when new projects are being planned.
- He/she issues technical recommendations on the choice of computer equipment, tele/radio communication equipment and energy supply to be validated by the logistics coordinator.
- He/She authorizes the use of equipment, create utilization procedures and train personnel on how to use them.
- He/She ensures the monitoring of equipment (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) through regular updates of monitoring tools (property list) and the keeping of physical inventories.
- He/She supervises the installation of equipment and ensure they run smoothly and are maintained and ensures any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the consumption of equipment, if need be, and, if required, carries out necessary adjustments in accordance with utilization procedures.
Managing The Base’S Fleet:
- He/She supports the Base Logistics Manager in defining transport means adapted to the needs of projects associated with the bas.
- He/She ensures that vehicles are monitored (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) and that monitoring tools are regularly updated.
- He/She ensures the vehicles are working properly, that they are properly maintained and any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the use of vehicles and, if necessary, makes any necessary changes to utilization procedures.
- He/She ensures plans and monitoring tools for the management of movement are put in place and respected and that they are maintained through the use of log books.
- He/She makes sure, above all, that questions of safety relating to the utilization of vehicles (authorized people, exceptional circumstances, safety equipment etc.) are appropriately addressed.
- He/She contributes in centralizing movement planning on weekly basis for all base movements and follows in-country flight movements.
Ensuring the Circulation of Information, Co-Ordination And Representation on Logistics Issues At Base Level:
- He/She writes or participates in writing internal reports for everything concerning the logistics of the base.
- He/She participates to the writing of reports for the donors (lists of equipment, checking functioning costs etc) and ensures the keeping of and the archiving of purchase files (help, equipment, location, omissions etc). ]
- He/She participates in the preparation of logistics in view of an audit which is either forthcoming or already underway.
- He/She participates to the financial and administrative management of his/her area of work.
- He/She supports the Base Logitics Manager in making sure that the budgetary allowance is respected in the logistics department and establishes regular cash-flow needs.
Supervising And Managing Logistics Teams:
- She/He supervises the logitics officers and assistants
- She/He writes descriptions and carries out job interviews upn request.
- She/He contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and plans activities.
- She/He participates to the recruitment of the logistics team at base level
- She/He ensures and/or supervises continued training of local members of the logistics team who are in the base on the procedures and tools of PUI.
- She/He creates an action plan for her/his team at base level in accordance with the objectives defined by the Base Logitcis Manager
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Recruitment, training and organization of the base logistic team.
- Ensuring PUI logistic tools and procedures are implemented at the field level and followed.
- Increase the anticipation, reactivity of maintenance and general equipment of base facilities (phccs, warehouse).
The Tasks and Responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: English / Hausa / Kanuri
- Education degree: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Logistics or similar field of studies
- Work experience: Minimum 2 Years with INGO
Knowledge and skills:
- Team Management
- Logistical skills
- Administrative and Management skills
- Knowledge of procedures: institutional donors (UE, OFDA, ECHO, AAP, UN agencies.).
- Pack Office and any other software, Excellet at Excel.
- Transversals skills:
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure and volatile environment
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally, and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and mandate of PUI before local authorities and suppliers
- Ability to work with different partners in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategies.
Deadline: 9th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online