The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant – General Food Distribution in-Kind SC5
Requisition ID: 141172
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area/Field Offices (AOs/FOs). The job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or the designate.
- At this level, job holders are responsible for the completion of a range of specialized and/or standardized processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices.
- Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
- They work under minimum supervision, perform basic analyses and compile reports to support information consistency and smooth implementation of programmes / projects.
- To perform specialized and / or standardized policy and programme-related processes and activities to support the effective delivery of assistance packages.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Review Cooperating Partner Distribution Reports (CPDR) and follow-up payments process of invoices.
- Tracking and recording of GFD in-kind daily distribution report to inform management of distribution report and challenges.
- Oversee Programme activities where partners implementing in-kind food assistance and Blanket Supplementary Feeding Programme (BSFP) & provide site guidance to CP’s staff.
- In line with approved distribution plan, prepare Food Release Notes (FRNs) for dispatches and timely distributions.
- Continue updating beneficiary’s caseload through integration of new arrivals and targeting method using community-based approach.
- Liaise with cooperating partners on food dispatches and distributions.
- Undertake deep field missions to conduct oversight monitoring where WFP partners implement food Programme and Prepare Back to Office Report.
- Manage COMET entry for GFD in-kind food assistance.
- Provide guidance to cooperating partners on WFP operational practices on cross-cutting issues.
- Track new arrivals to inform of contingency food
- Undertake other assigned tasks.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Capability Name: Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance: Can facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes under guidance using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers): Demonstrates ability to facilitate, under guidance, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
- Knowledge of Specialized Areas: Understands basic technical concepts and data andtheir relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Emergency Programming: Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
- Strategic Policy Engagement w / Govt: Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Has facilitated communication with technical teams (i.e. nutrition, VAM, etc.).
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of Secondary School Education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
- Experience: Minumum of 3 years of related work experience.
Deadline: 12th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.