The Federal Ministry of Environment, through the Department of Climate Change, invites applications from suitable candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator
The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, submitted a Readiness Proposal to the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for a project to build capacity to advance National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process in Nigeria. The Proposal has been approved with the UN Environment as the Delivery Partner for the project, with the role of supporting and overseeing the project implementation.
The project entitled “Strengthening Nigeria’s Capacity to Advance the NAP Process” will be implemented by a small project team headed by a National Coordinator. The new NAP project will support multi-sectoral, medium- to long-term adaptation planning and budgeting in Nigeria and promote the integration of climate change adaptation aspects into development planning processes and policies. Systems for developing and sharing climate risk and vulnerability information will be reinforced, and sustainable financing mechanisms for climate change adaptation initiatives are set to be developed.
The Paris Agreement (2015) in its global goal on adaptation (Article 7) brought new elements and dimension to the climate change adaptation. Namely, enhancing adaptive capacity, strengthening resilience and reducing vulnerability to climate change. with a view to contributing to sustainable development and ensuring an adequate adaptation response in the context of the global temperature limit of less than 2°C. The UNFCCC’s Least Developed Expert Group (LEG) on adaptation released Guidelines for National Adaptation Plans (December 2012). Furthermore, the Green Climate Fund (GCF) has issued guidance on adaptation planning approaches.
- Manage the day-to-day implementation of the program at national level and across provinces, including coordinating the delivery of activities and outputs (such as workshops, studies and publications);
- Ensure that project activities and results are delivered in accordance with thc required quality, standards and specified time and cost constraints;
- Regularly monitor and report on project performance and delivery to the Project National Director, GCF Focal Point and the UN Environment Task Manager, including progress. achievements, challenges encountered and proposed corrective actions;
- Prepare bi-annual project Interim Progress Reports for the GCF;
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of budget revisions, financial reports (including quarterly expense reports), and cash advance requests;
- Serve as Secretary to the Project Steering Committee, organize biannual PSC meetings, and ensure the timely preparation of meeting documentation (including progress reports) and meeting minutes;
- Develop TORs and assist in the identification, selection and recruitment procurement of consultants or other service providers;
- Supervise and manage the work and deliverables of national and international consultants, as well as other service providers and partners;
- Supervise the Administrative and Finance Officer to ensure that financial, procurement and human resource processes are managed in line with Funding Proposal and Project Cooperation Agreement provisions, and that records of project documents and assets I equipment lists, including financial and procurement documents, are maintained in accordance with audit requirements;
- Ensure the timely preparation of annual and semi-annual work plans, procurement plans and budgets for approval by the Project National Director and Project Steering Committee (PSC), with prior endorsement of the GCF Focal Point and the UN Environment Task Manager;
- Identify and resolve logistical and organizational issues under the guidance of the Project National Director, the GCF Focal Point and the UN Environment Task Manager; and
- Undertake other tasks assigned by the GCF Focal Point in line with the GCF NAP Project.
- A Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or related field.
Deadline: 7th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application which should contain their Cover Letter explaining why they are the most suitable candidate for the position with relevant credentials to:
The Office of the Director,
Department of Climate Change,
Plot 444 Aguiyi Ironsi Street,