Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roving Protection Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno.
Contract type: National contract
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Roving Protection Specialist to join the DRC North East Nigeria.
- The Protection Specialist will support in the implementation, quality control, and coordination of Danish refugee Council (DRC) Protection activities in North East Nigeria.
- The Protection Specialist will be part of the Protection team and will work under the guidance and supervision of Protection Manager.
- She/he will be based in Maiduguri. Protection activities in Nigeria are focused on: individual protection assistance and case management, protection monitoring, psychosocial activities, community-based protection, capacity building and sensitization.
- Protection is mainstreamed throughout all other programme areas (Food security, Livelihoods, WASH and Shelter) and is a key component in programme design.
The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
Program management and implementation:
- Follow up on the implementation of project activities at the field level, including appropriate documentation and management of protection cases (recorded incidents), protection concern and case management forms, IPA, and activity reports.
- Ensure that the beneficiary selection criteria is properly implemented.
- Ensure referral pathways are updated and are being utilized.
- Compile monthly donor reports on project activities on a timely manner and share with the Protection Manager.
- Provide hands-on trainings, coaching, mentoring to protection staff, ensuring clarity on protection tools and standards.
- Ensure that a protection risk analysis is in place and constantly updated.
- Identify key advocacy messages and promote dissemination of these within the operational context.
Programme Development and Quality:
- Undertake regular on-site visits to monitor the quality of activity implementation at the LGA-level and provide technical support to the protection assistants and officers.
- Identify gaps and opportunities for further programming, support needs assessments and gap analyses, and contribute to proposals and other programme development initiatives.
- Ensure that the protection risk analysis for North East Nigeria is constantly updated.
- Support in developing DRC’s Protection Framework/action plan for North East Nigeria and provide technical assistance to roll it out, in coordination with the Protection Manager and the Regional Protection Coordinator;
- Conduct protection mainstreaming trainings and participate in NFI/Cash/WASH distributions at the field locations on a needs basis.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning:
- Support planning and ensure that activities are implemented in accordance with project objectives, work plan and budget.
- Analyze and compile protection monitoring report from the team leaders and liaise with the Protection Manager.
- Collaborate & Coordinate with M&E team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed with protection and ensure protection of vulnerable groups while gathering appropriate and accurate data on protection outcomes.
- Ensure protection teams are maintain project data adhering to the highest standards of data protection and confidentiality.
Coordination & Representation:
- In coordination with the Protection Manager, participate in the Protection Sector working group, other protection working group meetings and with relevant line Ministries and stakeholders.
- Stay abreast of developments in the protection environment in Northeast Nigeria and provide timely analysis on key issues on a regular basis.
N.B: The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law, International Relations, Psychology/Counselling, Social Work, Social Sciences, or relevant equivalent disciplines.
- More than 5 years’ work experience in a humanitarian organization / with displacement affected populations on protection programming,
- Project Management skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing). Professional fluency in English and Hausa
- Self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently.
- Computer skills
- Budget management skills
- Other local languages spoken in North East Nigerian states
- Availability – ASAP
Salary and Conditions
In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Deadline: 13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Improtant Information and Notice
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.