WaterAid is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Intern
Job Type: Contract
Duration: 1 year
Department: Programmes Directorate
Reports to: State Programme Lead
Direct Reports: None
Travel: Frequent travels to field locations
- The post holder will be expected to perform a wide range of duties using independent judgment and initiative to determine approaches or actions to take in non-routine situations.
- In broad terms, the job holder will provide administrative and operational support for programme management (planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management activities, partner engagements and support to the Bauchi State Programme.
- S/he will be required to interpret guidelines using policies and precedents. Most importantly S/he will be able to demonstrate sufficient professional and personal maturity to be entrusted with what in many cases will be sensitive information.
A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to the Programme department and the CP at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
- Support in carrying out administrative and logistics duties to aid effective programme delivery in the Bauchi State Programme such as raising partner financial requests, organise workshops, prepare letters, and correspondences etc.
- Support relevant officers in information gathering and research towards development of quality programme documents for planning, proposal writing etc.
- Deliver learning and knowledge management projects/initiatives including but not limited to writing reports; collation of reports, documentation, filing and sharing knowledge management / learning products.
- Provide support for advocacy initiatives such as meetings with sector actors and partners
- Provide support to partners to develop project implementation plans and review plans periodically to ensure effective programme delivery
- Conduct field visits to project locations to support partners in the implementation of project activities as maybe required
- Work with the Bauchi State Programme team to develop to manage as well as engage new partners and stakeholders.
- Support development of Terms of Reference (ToR) and budgets for activities and trips for the Bauchi state team, including supporting with developing activity/donor reporting
- Work with Communications and Media colleagues to update and maintain databases (stakeholder, publication, media hits) preparations for and implementation of campaigns, updating the advocacy scrapbook, learning trackers, and putting advocacy packs together for the Bauchi State Programme.
- Support the Bauchi State programme team with other duties as may arise.
- Completion of a 4-year Undergraduate Degree course in Arts, Social Sciences, or related field from a reputable university.
- Completion of National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme no more than 5 years before date of application.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate a keen aptitude and appetite for learning and personal development
- Demonstrate WaterAid values
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field.
- Computer proficiency (Office software, internet and email
- A Master’s Degree in any of the fields listed as essential.
- Interest in development career in development/NGO sector.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities:
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work – Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships – Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
- Willingness to learn: Demonstrating a willingness to learn new ideas using a combination of learning approaches.
- Self-motivation and Initiative – Ability to inspire oneself to take on challenging tasks and commitment to deliver work of excellent quality.
- Written and Oral Expression – Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management -Managing one’s own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g., unforeseen change in context).
- Attention to details – Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities to expected quality with minimal errors.
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
Deadline: 8th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
- The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.