King’s College Hospital – We are one of London’s leading hospitals with a world-class reputation, but our roots lie in the heart of our community. Every day we care for patients from some of the most deprived communities in the capital and from some of the wealthiest. Our globally renowned specialties – including liver, diabetes, and sickle cell – are largely driven by the health problems of our ethnically diverse local community.
King’s is also one of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals. We train 400 doctors, 275 nurses, and 750 dentists each year, in partnership with King’s College London. We have a reputation to maintain, so we are looking to recruit great people. Whether you work in medicine, nursing, administration, scientific services, or patient support, we want you to keep up our high standards and push them even higher.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer – The AMCE, Abuja, Nigeria Executives / VSM
Job ref: 213-CORP-2474
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employer type: NHS
Main area: Director
Grade: Executives / VSM
Hours: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Employer: King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Contract: Permanent: Secondment / Fixed Term would be considered
Working for Our Organisation
- The African Medical Centre of Excellence will be implemented in four phases over a six-year period, starting with a 170-bed specialist hospital before expanding to a 500-bed facility. The centre will have the potential to provide services to over 200,000 patients in Nigeria and a further 150,000 patients from neighbouring West African countries within its first five years of operation.
- The clinical areas the centre will specialise in are: Cardiology, Haematology and Oncology. This will include specialist diagnostic services for genomics and oncology and state of the art imaging and treatment capabilities. A range of businesses providing relevant health support will support this facility and provide commercial services to its patients and staff.
- The AMCE will be located in Abuja, Nigeria which has the highest GDP in Africa, estimated at USD 448 Billion (World Bank, 2019), and a leading oil producer in Africa. Nigeria is also multi-ethnic and culturally diverse with a population of about 200.9 million people spread across a federation of 36 autonomous states and the Federal Capital Territory. Nigeria is also blessed with many natural landmarks and wildlife reserves which have waterfalls, dense rainforest, savanna and rare primate habitats including Protected areas such Cross River National Park and Yankari National Park and one of the most recognisable sites in Abuja, Zuma Rock.
- Are you looking for a new, exciting and challenging opportunity to expand your portfolio of expertise? We would like to invite an experienced Chief Executive Officer to lead our groundbreaking healthcare facility in Nigeria, West Africa!
- African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) has announced the commencement of its African Medical Centre of Excellence (AMCE) project in Abuja, Nigeria. It will provide excellent healthcare to both low and high-income patient groups across the continent.
- The AMCE in Partnership with King’s College Hospital London will be located in Abuja, which is a hub for travel in Nigeria and West Africa, enabling it to attract patients across the region.
- The Chief Executive Officer will be accountable to the board and external regulators for the performance of the AMCE by ensuring that the Centre remains financially sustainable and nurturing a strong governance culture based on the values of the AMCE and King’s College Hospital.
- They will provide a dynamic and visible leadership of the AMCE both internally and externally, pursuing the ambitious strategy to deliver the very best in healthcare to the local communities and beyond.
- Ensuring that the organisation is best placed to deliver the highest quality of care, meeting the expectations of patients, carers, commissioners and the wider system.
Main Duties of the Job
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Have the strategic vision to lead and transform the organisation whilst keeping an unrelenting focus on the delivery of high-quality care.
- Have a demonstrable record of accomplishments in a healthcare establishment at Board level or equivalent.
- Be an excellent partner who makes a positive contribution to the wider system.
- Model the AMCE’s commitment to inclusion and equity and our new values: “We’re Kind / We’re Fair / We Listen / We Care”.
- As an Executive Director, the Chief Executive Officer will be a full member of the AMCE’s Executive Management Team and will share corporate responsibility for the decisions of the Executive Board.
- You will play a key role in the establishment of the AMCE through the set-up and planning phases (design, build, planning) through ramp-up and into the full operational phase and beyond.
- The Chief Executive will be responsible for ensuring the success of the AMCE as a whole, providing leadership and strategic management across all aspects of the AMCE’s activities with the aim of ensuring that effective and efficient healthcare services of the highest quality are delivered within available resources.
- In driving the organisation forward, the Chief Executive will engage effectively with partners in the UK (King’s College Hospital and The Christie Hospital) and in the local and national healthcare economy.
- The Chief Executive will provide high level strategic leadership and management to the whole organisation with a focus on high standards of patient safety, clinical quality and patient care along with efficient and effective use of resources.
- The Chief Executive will represent the AMCE in a wide range of stakeholders across the health economy and wider health and care systems.
- As the key member of the AMCE Executive, you will identify and implement the company’s objectives using a combination of personal involvement, motivation of other staff and delegation when appropriate.
- The Chief Executive will drive the organisation forward by assessing organisational performance, developing achievable goals and implementing processes that improve organisational effectiveness and efficiency.
- You will provide clear and positive leadership and vision to the strategic management of the AMCE and will be expected to constantly review and recommend strategies for its development and effectiveness.
- On an operational level, you will be responsible for the overall business efficiency, the maintenance of the team spirit and culture.
The Chief Executive will be expected, among other responsibilities to:
- Develop and maintain a strategic vision for the AMCE, to improve patient services taking account of local, regional and national health objectives and policies and agree with the Company Board, and keep under review, the most effective organizational structure, maintaining mechanisms for the proper involvement of staff in decision making.
- Create an appropriate climate, both internally and externally, to enable the AMCE to achieve its service and financial objectives and provide a strong and respected voice for the AMCE across Abuja, Nigeria, West African and international health economies.
- Work in partnership with staff at all levels to create a working environment that is professionally and personally rewarding with high levels of staff engagement.
- Direct all the AMCE activities to achieve the most efficient and effective provision of healthcare to the highest quality within the resources available and, in particular the support of the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Nurse Officer to ensure the positive and effective implementation of clinical governance.
- Build effective partnerships with the key stakeholders of health including colleagues at King’s College Hospital and The Christie Hospital and other relevant parties including representatives of patients and carers. The Chief Executive will also develop and maintain effective relationships with the Company Board.
- Lead efforts to improve the quality and accessibility of services to patients and establish systems for evaluation and improving quality in the delivery of services while ensuring that the AMCE’s legal and statutory obligations are fulfilled.
- Present the AMCE effectively in dealing with the media, with the aim of building a positive external image of the organisation.
- Develop policy to ensure that the operational objectives arising are appropriate, deliverable and in line with the strategic direction of the AMCE and ensure that the AMCE’s financial policies are implemented and there are clear and effective arrangements for their monitoring and control.
- Ensure that the AMCE actively supports and promotes research development and teaching.
- Ensure all complaints are properly investigated and dealt with promptly in accordance with local and national regulations and guidance.
- Ensure the organisation complies with statutory Health and Safety legislation and promote a positive safety culture for the users of the service together with a safe, honest and transparent working environment for staff.
- Degree or equivalent in Business Management, Finance, an analytical stem Science or equivalent through training and experience
- The salary on offer will be paid in US Dollars and not Great British Pounds. The salary has only been advertised in Great British Pounds, to follow the guidelines set by the Government Digital Service (GDS). An Oanda spot rate for USD/GBP as of 10th of January 2022 at 15:30, was used for conversion.
- Accommodation Allowance
- Annual Flight allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Health insurance
- Indemnity insurance
- Exclusive Memberships.
Deadline: 4th February, 2022 at 23:59.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Given the nature of the roles being applied for in Nigeria, candidate information will be shared with Afremibank Privacy notice – African Export-Import Bank (afreximbank.com) as part of the recruitment process.
Leave a Reply