Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICT Intern
Locations: Yola – Adamawa, Gombe, and Damaturu – Yobe
Position Status: Intern, Full-time
Slots: 3 Openings
Reports Directly To: Operations Officers
Works Directly With: All staff
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- Work under the supervision of, and in collaboration with the IT Systems Administrator (IT Officer) to monitor and maintain all IT Systems in Mercy Corps Gombe, Yola, Damaturu office.
Essential Job Functions
- Conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Read, understand and regularly update the Mercy Corps IT Conduct IT orientations for new staff (Also periodically conduct refresher training) on the IT Policy. Monitor user activities to ensure adherence to these policies.
- Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
- Regularly monitor the health and update status of Operating systems and Antivirus on each computer on the network and ensure a virus, malware-free network.
- Assist the IT Systems Administrator in establishing a clear, back-up policy for the Mercy Corps office and undertake the necessary steps for this activity including designing a schedule and materials list. Ensure back-up and archives are made and stored as scheduled.
- Under the guidance of the IT Systems Administrator, undertake the repairing and maintaining of LAN-s, internet systems and general IT maintenance.
- Assist with the repair of computers and IT equipment at a local level, when possible.
- Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for Mercy Corps office.
- Work with the IT Systems Administrator (and Asset Controller) to document and maintain all IT equipment / systems information to include but not be limited to (specifications, system profiles, MAC address, IP Addresses, Network diagrams etc.).
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure and safe environment and are aware of IT policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of 6 months experience in information technology systems (IT).
- A relevant University Degree in Computer Sciences is desirable.
- Experience in both hardware and software requirements in local area networking (LAN);
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to trouble-shoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections is required.
- Must understand, follow and implement existing policies on IT equipment use and best practices.
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N100,000
- The intern will be entitled to full health insurance.
Deadline: 2nd February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online (Gombe)
Click here to apply online (Yola)
Click here to apply online (Damaturu)
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.