African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Land Officer – ECNR
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL3
Position Number: 50050450
As a senior expert in the ECNR, the Chief Land Officer plays a leading role in the knowledge, policy and advisory work on the management of land resources for sustainable development in Africa. This includes:
- Providing strategic advice to the Director and leading the production of knowledge and analytical work on land resources management, conduct periodic country sector studies and designing toolkits to support land management and governance in RMCs.
- Balancing public and private sector knowledge on land policy issues and coordinating capacity building and advisory programmes to RMCs on policy, legal and institutional reforms as relates to land resources management.
- Acting as the Centre’s focal point on land resources management, in managing strategic relations and partnerships with consultants and institutional partners, relevant arms of the Bank, RMC governments, private sector, and civil society.
- Coordinating advocacy and knowledge-building programmes on land resources management.
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Chief Land Officer will provide support to AfDB’s land resources development and management activities, in particular:
Analytical, policy and advisory work:
- Undertake and supervise economic, thematic, and sector work (ESW) on land resources management and identify opportunities to promote integrated natural resources management,
- Support development of land policies, strategies and plans for regional member countries through the preparation and administration of advisory and technical assistance projects,
- Evaluate land resources management policies and projects; intra-regional and regional cooperation activities in the land sector; and the role of land in integrated natural resources management and sustainable development,
- Organize, originate and/or participate in the production and dissemination of knowledge and information related to land resources management,
- Lead and participate in the production of key policy briefs, position papers and guidelines on land; by liaising with government, academia/research institutions, private agencies and NGOs on land use issues, and help the Centre develop appropriate responses. This will include responding to enquiries from the media and public,
- Collaborate with Country and Regional Offices on land projects and programmes, and when necessary participate in related policy dialogue with RMC’s governments, including the promotion of sustainable land management and reinforcing the importance of land as a key natural resource asset,
- Provide leadership and advisory support in all phases of land related operations across the Bank,
- Contribute technical inputs to the preparation of country diagnostic notes, country strategy papers and portfolio reviews, with particular reference to the management of land resources,
- Participate in Bank’s missions for business development, collect, examine and analyse needs and requirements of clients for land resources management; Promote and contribute towards the mainstreaming of land governance into Bank operations.
Coordination, Collaboration and Strategic Partnerships:
- Contribute to the Bank’s engagement and collaborations with key external stakeholders, regional bodies and development partners in advancing land resources management; Identify major opportunities for strategic collaboration with multilateral and bilateral donors to improve the governance of land resources in Africa,
- Contribute and participate in sector coordination mechanisms at country or regional level and enhance the visibility of the Bank,
- Represent the Bank at various land resources management seminars, conferences and other international fora; Lead and/or contribute to high level dialogue with land sector counterparts in RMCs, development partners and other key stakeholders,
- Contribute and coordinate inputs on the land sector in the regional and country programming and work plans,
- Participate in or coordinate the preparation of internal reports and documents of the
- Department or other departments/units of the Bank, or provide expert advice on land policy issues,
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to other natural resource management experts in the ECNR, the ECVP Complex, other relevant departments and the Bank’s Regional and Country Offices,
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of funding proposals to secure adequate budgets in collaboration with other Bank departments – including managing donor relationships and reporting,
- Perform any other duty pertinent to the role and functions of the ECNR assigned by the Director of ECNR and/or senior management.
Competencies (Skills, Experience And Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Natural Resources Management, Public Policy, or International Development, with specialisation in Land Resources Management. A relevant Doctorate degree is an advantage.
- Have a minimum of seven (07) years of relevant experience in land resources management, land economics, policy, governance and/or administration, practical knowledge of land management in the context of integrated natural resources management in the public or private sectors, or multilateral organisations.
- Extensive knowledge of land resources management, including integrated land planning, land administration, governance, economics, and conservation.
- Knowledge of multi-level policy frameworks and international conventions on land resource management (national, regional and global);
- Strong and demonstrated understanding of global policy agendas on climate change, environmental sustainability and biodiversity/natural capital conservation as applicable to land resource management.
- Strong analytical skills for knowledge production and dissemination, and specifically, writing high-quality reports and briefs for a broad range of audiences.
- Strong experience in conducting empirical research and analysis on land resource management in Africa, using mixed research methods (quantitative and qualitative investigation);
- A strong track record in providing policy analysis, advice and capacity building in the area of land resource management; experience in appraisal and management of land projects (whether public or private) is an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles of good governance as applied to the land sector.
- Experience of working with the AfDB, multilateral and bilateral donors and other international development organisations is desirable.
- Knowledge of the Africa region and DFI environment.
- Private sector experience is an advantage
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of motivated staff, and utilise the talents and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Networking and facilitation skills, ability to work in teams, good interpersonal skills, resourcefulness and attention to details.
- Good skills in communication, Strategic planning, Client orientation, Teamwork and relations and Entrepreneurship
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of SAP, and proficiency in the use of statistical/econometric software and/or geoterrestrial mapping software.
Deadline: 17th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.